South River Source: One Month, 7K and Growing
Happy Leap Day!
It’s hard to believe that just one month ago we started South River Source.
Since then, we have been amazed—and to be honest—a bit giddy about the outpouring of support for our new local news site.
In a short time, we have garnered some 500 Facebook friends and nearly 7,000 unique visitors.
And we do this under the banner of local ownership. We are a woman-owned, small business venture. By reading the stories we are posting, you are already helping us to grow our business. We can’t thank you enough!
As founders, both Mitchelle Stephenson and I (Cynthia Giorgio) share a respect for readers and a love for honest reporting. We believe that accurate, timely information reported by individuals that live and work in the area is the glue that holds a community together.
That’s why Mitchelle and I are proud of what we have accomplished so far and recognize that our success is because of you – our dedicated readers.
It’s been a busy few months with some 100 local news events covered on our site. These include:
- We were first to report that Woodland Beach Volunteer Fire was buying property to move their home to the intersection of Route 2 and 214.
- We are the only news publication to update readers on construction of the new kindergarten wing at Davidsonville Elementary.
- We just posted an investigative piece about mall safety and what’s jamming car alarm systems at the Annapolis Mall.
- We’ve shared information about power outages in South County and severe weather.
- We’ve helped disseminate community information on church, charities and sports.
- We were the first to report on parking issues at the Davidsonville Park and Ride and SHA’s plan to double the size of the lot.
- Our Valentine’s Day contest earned Becki Hutchison of Riva free Valentine’s Day cupcakes!
- We were the first to report on Galway Bay’s debut on the Food Network’s “Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.”
- Skippers Pier has new management and you found out about it by reading The Source!
The South River Source wants to keep telling your amazing stories—so keep sending them our way.
We cover all of southern Anne Arundel County right on down to the Calvert County line including: Davidsonville, Deale, Edgewater, Galesville, Harwood, Lothian, Mayo, Owensville, Riva, Shady Side, Tracys Landing and West River (and all the places in between).
As the South River Source continues to grow, we are always looking for voices from the community. If you are a writer; photographer; blogger; cartoonist (there have to be a few of you out there); or just an inquisitive person like Mitchelle and I, contact us about opportunities to join our team.
This is your news site. We simply put pen to paper (cursor to computer screen?) and tell the stories about the people and places that make up this a great place to call home.
So tell your friends, family, church members, teammates, teachers, the grocery store clerk, customers standing in line at Starbucks or your gym buddies about our site. Call us and we’ll send you a stack of business cards to hand out.
Thanks again and remember—always go to the SOURCE for accurate and timely news told by locals who live, work and play in South County.