Round Up: Stories About South County You Might Have Missed
Saturday (May 26)
- The Capital reported that a 30-year-old man crashed his motorcycle on Fairhaven Road in Deale. The man, who was not identified, was taken to Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore with life-threatening injuries. The single-vehicle incident happened on Saturday evening.
- The Baltimore Sun had a roundup of local college students playing lacrosse in NCAA Divisional finals in Massachusetts this past weekend. A couple of players hail from Davidsonville and Edgewater.
Sunday (May 27)
- In Shady Side the Maryland Natural Resources Police found the owner of a kayak after his boat was found in the Bay early Sunday morning by a waterman. ABC News reported that the NRP investigate any case of unattended floating vessels, assuming that the boater fell overboard. A NRP search was conducted. When the boater was found, he said that he assumed his kayak had sunk and did not notify authorities. NRP require notification of any abandoned vessel.
- At 10:30 p.m., Anne Arundel County firefighters rescued two boaters in the area of Skipper’s Pier, after the victims’ boat hit a jetty.
- A little before noon on Sunday, five victims were flown out by Medivac after a three-car crash on Route 2 at Lower Marlboro Road in Calvert County, according to the Calvert County Sheriff’s office.
- Firefighters were evacuated from two (related) mobile home fires in Lothian on Sunday evening. Emergency personnel from Anne Arundel, Calvert and Prince George’s counties battled the fires in the Rio Vista mobile home park off Sands Road starting around 5 p.m. The fire started in a shed in the 900 block of Jeannies Court. The blaze spread to the adjacent one-story mobile home, then continued to a neighboring mobile home, also located in the 900 block of Jeannies Court. Firefighters struggled with non-working hydrants, and called in a tanker shuttle. About 5:45 p.m., firefighters were evacuated. No word yet on a damage estimate, but both homes are completely uninhabitable.