Bring the Family to Capt. Avery Museum for Free Sunday Programs
The Captain Avery Museum in Shady Side is hosting a series of three Sunday programs in June. They are free, and open to the public. The programs offer a great reason for families to check in at the museum and see indoor and outdoor exhibits at the waterfront site.
Capt. Salem Avery was a waterman who worked the Chesapeake Bay. His home on the bay was built in 1859 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The programs will run from 1 to 4 p.m. on Sunday. The museum is located at 1418 East-West Shady Side Road.
- June 10. Stephen Gauss who will offer an introduction to genealogy using easily accessible, free, but not necessarily well-known, sources. He will discuss where and how to locate information about ancestors. As time allows, Gauss will provide individual assistance following his talk.
Gauss is a retired astronomer who has been researching family history for almost forty years. He has published several papers in national genealogical magazines. He works part time at the Anne Arundel County Public Library information desk.
- July 15. Storyteller Ann Widdifield has spent the last several years researching the black community in Shady Side. During her presentation, “Uncovered Shady Side Stories: Four Nicknames, Three Brothers, and a Pair of Puppies,” participants will have the opportunity to choose a nickname, make predictions, and create two puppies.
For the past three years Widdifield has been working on the book, Passing Through, and has interviewed many members of the community to provide a broader view of African Americans living in Shady Side.
- August 19. Mary Ellen McGrath will be doing storytelling at the last program, “Weird Science.”
For more information, go to the Museum’s website at www.captainaverymuseum.org or call the office at 410-867-4486. Corporate sponsors of the Museum are Greenstreet Gardens and BayVue Consulting, Inc.