South County Swim Teams Kick Off Season Saturday
Swimmers, take your mark, get set, go. The summer competitive swimming season has started for area teams including the Southdown Sharks, Davidsonville Gators, South River Colony Stringrays and Mayo Marlins.
Several local teams will be having their first swim meet this weekend. What has led up to the meets are hundreds of swimmers, ages five to 18, who have been working hard at daily practice to refine their stroke, dives and turns.
Swimming has to be one of the more family-oriented sporting events, where the athletes, their parents and coaches all work together to run the hours-long events. Of course there is also a lot of cheering as the swimmers kick and pull their way to the finish line against swimmers from around the county and the state.
Swim meets for the Sharks, Gators, Stingrays and Marlins run through the second or third weekend in July, depending on the league. Swimmers who have been competitive in the regular season can then compete in qualifying Bronze, Silver and Gold meets.
Below are the 2012 summer meet schedules for all four teams. Good luck to the swimmers, and let us know how your team is doing by emailing us at email@example.com.
The Southdown Sharks practice at the Southdown Swim Club located in Southdown Shores in Edgewater (the neighborhood behind WaWa). The swim team practices five mornings a week and is open to boys and girls ages 5 to 18 years old.
Sharks’ 2012 Swim Meet Schedule
- June 23 – Sharks versus Olde Mill at Home
- June 30 – Sharks versus Swan Lake at Swan Lake
- July 7 - Sharks versus Maple Lawn at Home
- July 14 - Sharks versus Woodbridge Valley at Home
- July 21 - Sharks versus Country Club of Glen Burnie at Glen Burnie
The Davidsonville Gators meet each Monday through Friday from 7:50 to 10:30 a.m. at the Harbor Hill’s community pool located off St. George Barber Road. The program is open to boys and girls ages 5 to 18 years old. The Gators participate in the Greater Annapolis Swim League.
Gators’ 2012 Swim Meet Schedule
- June 16 – Gators versus Bay Hills at Home
- June 23 – Gators versus Indian Hills at Indian Hills
- June 30 – Gators versus Hillsmere at Home
- July 7 - Gators versus Ulmsted at Home
- July 14 - Gators versus Bay Ridge at Bay Ridge
Mayo Marlins Swim Club
The Mayo Swim Club swims under the Greater Annapolis Swim League in the Severn division. The program is open to boys and girls ages six to 18 years of age. Practices are held at Camp Letts Monday through Friday from 5:15 to 7:15 p.m.
Marlins’ 2012 Swim Meet Schedule
- June 16 – Marlins versus Evergreen at Evergreen
- June 23 – Marlins versus Harting Farm at Home
- June 30 – Marlins versus Cape St. Claire at Home
- July 7 - Marlins versus Truxton Park at Home
- July 14 - Marlins versus Indian Landing at Indian Landing
South River Colony Stingrays
The South River Colony Stingrays compete in the Magothy division of the Greater Annapolis Swim League. The team is open to boys and girls ages five to 18 years old. The team practices at the South River Colony community pool. Practice times vary depending on age and skill level.
Stingrays 2012 Swim Meet Schedule
- June 16 – Stingrays versus Severn River at Severn River
- June 23 – Stingrays versus Annapolis Swim at Annapolis Swim
- June 27 – Stingrays versus Hunt Meadow at Home
- June 30 Stingrays versus Walden at Home
- July 7 - Bye – No Meet
- July 11 - Stingrays versus Admiral Heights at Home
- July 14 - Stingrays versus Downs at Downs
On a side note, many of this summer’s Olympic swimmers and divers got their start in very much the same way: swimming competitively at community pools in the summertime. Several Maryland swimmers are in the top ten to make the 2012 Olympic team to go to London for the summer games. This year’s Olympic hopefuls will have their qualifying meets June 25-July 2. NBC will offer full coverage. Click here to view times and cable listings.