August 2012: South County Senior Center Events Calendar
From Mary Felter, spokeswoman for the Anne Arundel County Department of Aging and Disabilities.
South County Senior Activity Center announces events in August at the center, 27 Stepneys Lane, Edgewater, one of seven centers operated by the Anne Arundel County Department of Aging and Disabilities. For information, call 410-222-1927 or visit www.aacounty.org/aging.
- Registration begins Aug. 1 for Fall classes offered through Anne Arundel Community College at the center, with classes starting the week of Oct. 1. Register online at myaacc.aacc.edu, call 410-777-2241, or visit one of the three campus locations – Arnold, Glen Burnie, and Arundel Mills. Class topics and information are available at the center.
- Aug. 1-23; 9 a.m. to noon. (Fridays): Do you need help or have questions about your Windows personal computer (desktop or laptop only)? Ted Armour will be available in the computer classroom at the center to assist and work with you in finding answers and solutions. You can bring your laptop. No guarantee that the programs will be resolved and your questions answered, but the price (free) is right.
- Aug. 13. 1 p.m.A family-fun event, the “One-Step MagicCompany” with Tom Lilly. The comedy/magic show promised fun for all with his sidekick Beowulf T. Wonderbunny. Hot dogs, chips and drinks will be available at noon. Sign up in advance at the center desk.
- Aug. 15, 1 p.m. Another family-fun event is the Maryland Zoo in Baltimore’s ZOOMobile Program “Fear: Friend of Foe?” will look at our fears of creatures that crawl, creep or slither. Why are we afraid? Meet some commonly feared animals and learn why they merit our respect more than our fear. Kona Icy Treats will follow the program. Sign up in advance at the center desk.
- Aug. 16, 10 a.m. The Maryland Insurance Administration will present “Insurance 101” at the center, followed by a question and answer period. The MIA is the state agency that regulates the insurance industry in Maryland. It provides assistance to consumers, businesses, health care providers, and insurance producers in all areas of insurance – life, health, disability, automobile, homeowners and property.
- Aug. 21, 10 a.m. Dr. Christopher A. Olenee, of Gastroenterology Associates, will talk about “Digestive Health.” The presentation will cover various diseases and disorders of the digestive tract. A question-answer period will follow.
- Reservations and deposits are being taken now for two trips this fall. The first is to Radio Music Hall in New York City on Nov. 15, with final payment on Oct. 7. The second trip is Christmas at the Greenbrier Dec. 5 to Dec. 7. The final payment is due Oct. 12. For information, call the center at 410-222-1927.
- Sign up now for two events in September. A picnic will be held Sept. 21 with lunch served from noon to 1 p.m. Come dressed in your favorite summer wear (no swimsuits). The picnic will be catered by Famous Dave’s with entertainment planned, too. The cost is $5. The second event is the crab fest planned for 10 a.m. Sept. 26. Tickets are $20 and are for center members only. Call 410-222-1927 for information.
The South County Senior Activity Center will be closed Aug. 31 for carpet cleaning.
Anne Arundel County Senior Activity Centers offer free memberships for individuals 55 or older who are active, self-sufficient, and able to function independently. For more information, visit your local senior center to obtain orientation materials and take a tour. Adults 55 or older who need assistance with daily living activities, or their caregivers, should contact Information and Assistance at 410-222-4257 to learn more about alternatives to Senior Activity Centers.