A Week of Fun Activities to Celebrate All that is London Towne
It’s time for the 33rd annual “Community Awareness Week” (CAW) sponsored by the London Towne Property Owners Association. The events—including fishing and crabbing contests, pet shows, parades, volleyball tournaments, boat regattas, senior luncheons, the Crab Feast, and more—will run from Aug. 11 to 19.
The Londontowne Property Association’s boundaries include all the homes to the south and east of Oakwood Road down to the north and west of Shore Drive. The homes on the west side of Mayo Road (behind Adams Ribs and Chesapeake Seafood) are also included in the London Towne POA.
CAW committee chair Logan Hottle is on the lookout for volunteers for a variety of tasks before, during and after each event. As grandma used to say, “many hands make light work.” Be sure to click on Hottle’s name to send an email volunteering yourself so that everyone can enjoy the festivities.
Most of the events and activities are open to the public, with the exception of the final days (noted below). Here is the outlook by day:
- 7 a.m. Fishing and Crabbing Contest in conjunction with Marty’s Sporting Goodsin Woodland Beach Plaza in Edgewater. Call 410-956-2238 for information. The contest ends on Aug. 19. This is for community members only.
- 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. community Flea Market at the Community Hall (150 Mayo Road, Edgewater). $20 for outdoor spaces; $25 for indoor. Refreshments available. Reserve a spot by calling 410-956-4808
- 2:30 to 4 p.m. Children’s Birthday Party at the Community Center. Entertainment, games and prizes, face painting. Cupcake donations are needed. Call 410-956-4808.
- 1 p.m. Pet Showwith trophies and prizes. All kinds of pets (dogs, cats, hermit crabs, turtles, hamsters, etc.) are welcome to this fun event at the Community Hall.
- 6:30 p.m. Family Festival with food, games, prizes, demonstrations, cake wheel and more. Contact 410-956-4808 for details. Businesses and foodies are welcome to set up booths to share information about what their businesses can offer residents—here is the booth/table and food vendor application.
- Deadline for 4th Annual London Towne Photography Contest. The theme is “My London Towne.” Show everyone what the neighborhood means to you through the lens of your camera. Click Here for photo contest rules or email Pam at call 410-956-7679.
- 6:30 p.m. Amelia Mott Volleyball Tournament. The London Towne “Five Beaches” will compete for the trophy. Bring your really tallfriends and help your beach win! For information, contact Tom, 410-798-4260.
- 7:30 p.m. Community Potluck Dinner (after volleyball tournament). Bring your favorite dish and your appetite, the property owners association will supply the beverages. Questions about what to bring—call Tom at 410-798-4260.
- 6 p.m. Photo Contest Judging. Vote for the People’s Choice award.
Aug. 18 (community members only please)
- 9 a.m. Children’s Bike Contest and Mini Parade begins at Beach Five and ends at Beach Three. There the children can enjoy refreshments while awards are presented. This event is for the community only.
- 10 a.m. Canoe/Kayak Race and Ramblin’ Raft Race at Beach Three. All rafts must be homemade without inflatable items or motors. Canoe/Kayak Races rules.
- 10 a.m. Sand Sculpture Contest at Beach Three. Sand Sculpture Contest rules.
Aug. 19 (community members only)
- Noon. Fishing Contest ends. Awards given at Marty’s Sporting Goods.
- 1 to 4 p.m. Crab Feast to Remember Jimmy Wells with door prizes, raffle, 50/50, cake wheel and more. Photo contest award winners announced. Adults $35 advance/$45 at the door; Ages 7 to 13 $15 advance; $25 at the door; 6 and under are free. Get tickets from your beach representative or call 410-956-4808 for reservations. Cash-only ticket sales. This event is open to the public.
- 4 p.m. Horseshoe Tournament. Think you can throw a few ringers? $20 entry fee; The prize is half the amount collected from entries. Sign up during the Crab Feast.