Zumba, Yoga, Basketball, Dog Training, Sewing, and MORE at South County Rec
The South County Recreation Center is tucked away in a residential neighborhood off of Route 2 in Harwood. The only way you might stumble upon it accidentally is if you get lost on your way to the dump, or you have friends that live on Owensville-Sudley Road. The center is run by the Anne Arundel County Department of Recreation and Parks and offers a variety of services and classes to county residents for a nominal fee.
Fall classes and workshops are starting up in the next few weeks, so we thought we’d showcase some of the programs available at the center. Registration is required for all classes (workshop numbers provided below).
The center is located at 4910 Owensville-Sudley Road in Harwood. Call 410-222-1515 for information.
You and Your Pet
First Aid and CPR for Pets ($39) runs for three hours, 6 to 9 p.m. Upcoming dates are Sept. 18, Oct. 16 and Nov. 20.
Dog Training Classes ($125 for six week session). A series of classes using science-based positive reinforcement methods that will help your best friend learn good manners for a lifetime. Taught by Best Friends Forever Pet Services. Sessions run Aug. 19 to Sept. 23 and Oct. 7 to Nov. 18. Classes are canceled on Oct. 21 for all three levels.
- Puppy Socialization, Sundays 1 to 2 p.m.—for puppies 10 weeks to 4 months old.
- Good Manners I, Sundays 2:15 to 3:15 p.m.—for dogs 5 months and older
- Good Manners II, Sundays 3:30 to 4:30 p.m.—for dogs 5 months and older/prerequisite Good Manners I training.
Physical Fitness for Adults
Yoga (8 weeks for $80). Classes start Sept. 18/19.
- All levels, one-hour class on Tuesdays starting at 10:30 a.m. Register for class #993001
- Gentle, one hour class on Wednesdays, starting at 6:30 p.m. Register for class #993101
Boot Camp (six weeks for $120). Sessions starting Sept. 11 (#946001) and Oct. 30 (#946011).
- Tuesday and Fridays, one-hour class starts at 5:30 a.m.
Basketball (10 weeks for $50). Session starts Sept. 20. (#940101)
- Thursdays, one hour sessions start at 7:30 p.m.
Zumba (six weeks for $66). Sessions start Sept. 5, Oct. 29 for evening classes; Sept. 10 and Oct. 29 for morning classes.
- Evening classes: Monday and Wednesday, one hour session starts at 5:30 p.m. (#345501/#345511)
- Morning classes: Mondays and Fridays, one-hour session starts at 9:30 a.m. (#345601/#345611)
Arts & Crafts
Sew What? (six weeks for $45). For ages 14 and up. Participants will learn machine and hand sewing techniques. Bring your own machine or use a machine from the center. Students self-select projects.
- Evening classes: Tuesdays starting Sept. 4 (#914101) and Oct. 23 (/#914121). Weekly two-hour class starts at 7:15 p.m.
- Morning classes: Thursdays starting Sept. 6 (#914111) and Oct. 25 (#914131). Weekly two-hour class starts at 9:30 a.m.
Quilting for Beginners (12 weeks for $95). For ages 14 and up. Learn the basics and beginner techniques in quilting and tying as you create a beautiful wall hanging. Classes start Sept. 10.
- Two-hour evening class on Mondays start at 7 p.m. (#914301)
The Art of Quilting (12 weeks for $95). For ages 18 and up. Quilter Jean Truitt leads the group in designing quilts, wall hangings, pillow shams, tree skirts, baby quilts and more. Classes start Sept. 6.
- Two-hour morning class on Thursdays start at 9:30 a.m. (#914291)
- Two-hour evening class on Thursdays start at 7 p.m. (#914211)
Specialty Ceramics Techniques and Design (12 weeks for $75). Select projects from greenware molded at the Center. Instruction includes techniques in dry brushing, glazing and chalks. Classes start on Sept. 4 and 5. Ask about drop-in ceramics for $10/day plus materials.
- Two-hour evening class on Tuesdays start at 7 p.m. (#914001)
- Two-hour morning class on Wednesdays start at 9:30 a.m. (#914011)
Ladies Night Out at our Pottery Studio (2 weeks for $25) Relax and create a hand-painted pottery at the center. It’s easy, no experience needed. Bring a friend! The center provides all the supplies needed. Bring a snack or refreshments. For ages 16 and up. Sessions start on Oct. 3 (#972001) and Nov. 7 (#972002)
- Two-hour Wednesday sessions start at 6:30 p.m. for two weeks.