Chance to Win $5K in Capt. Avery Museum Raffle for $5 Ticket
Years ago, the Capt. Avery Museumused to raffle off an automobile each October as part of a fundraiser for the museum and home of the Shady Side Rural Heritage Society. But somewhere along the way they learned that people would rather win cold hard cash. So they have been doing an annual $5,000 raffle ever since.
Tickets are on sale now for this years raffle, the 24th annual. The drawing will be held at the Oyster Festival on Oct. 21. You do not need to be present to win.
The way it works is that the museum sells $10,000 worth of tickets at $5 each. One of those 2,000 tickets is the winner, who will take home $5,000. The remaining $5,000 stays with the museum to help pay for building maintenance, repairs and operating funds.
The following merchants have tickets for sale right now:
- Joanne’s Touch. 5419 Deale Churchton Road in Churchton (410-867-4992)
- Snug Harbor Inn. 1484 Snug Harbor Road in Shady Side (301-261-9771
- Shady Side Market. 1481 Snug Harbor Road in Shady Side (410-867-1474)
- Driftwood Inn. 1468 Snug Harbor Road in Shady Side (410-867-4411)
- Swamp Circle Saloon. 5471 Shady Side Road in West River (301-261-5442)
- Renno’s Market. 6179 Shady Side Road in Shady Side (410-867-3034)
Tickets can also be purchased by sending a check to the Capt. Avery Museum PO Box 89, Shady Side MD 20764. To order by phone, 410-867-4486. Tickets will continue to be sold until all 2,000 tickets are gone.
The odds of winning are one in 2,000.
There will be additional ticket sale events in front of Christopher’s grocery store as the Oyster Festival nears.
What would you do with $5,000?