September 2012: South County Senior Center Events
Annapolis, MD (Aug. 14, 2012) – The South County Senior Activity Center, 27 Stepneys Lane, Edgewater, announces events during September at the center, one of seven senior facilities operated by the Anne Arundel County Department of Aging and Disabilities. For information, call 410-222-1927 or visit www.aacounty.org/agingand scroll to the senior center section.
- Sept. 6, 10 a.m. Diabetes Education for Seniors. Karen McConnell, registered nurse and a diabetes educator from Anne Arundel Medical Center, will present “Diabetes Education for Seniors.” She’ll discuss what diabetes is, symptoms, blood sugar monitoring, prevention of complications, empowerment of each individual to use knowledge to improve their health, what questions to ask your physician at each visit, and lifestyle changes to improve your diabetes.
- Sept. 6. 1 p.m. Unique Undertakings funeral industry talk. Services provided through the funeral industry no longer include just burial or cremation. Options nowadays include jewelry products, financial guidance, eco-friendly burial options, veterans benefit coordinators, and even party planning and catering services. Topics include what is a “Green Burial,” how ashes can be spread in the Chesapeake Bay, and even services for pets? Get your questions answered by Ryan Helfenbein of Lasting Tributes Funeral Care.
- Sept. 12, 10 a.m. Downsizing Your Possessions. Kater Leatherman, professional organizer and home-stager with more than 10 years of experience, will discuss “Downsizing Your Possessions.” Explore strategies for downsizing, learn ways to maintain balance, get support, and stay motivated.
- Sept. 12, 1 p.m. Favorite R&B singer Ray Apollo.By popular demand Ray Apollo will return to the center to sing favorite R&B, soul, and Doo-Wop songs.
- Sept. 14, 1 p.m. Flea Market. The semi-annual fall flea market, with proceeds to benefit the center.
- Sept. 26, 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. Safe Driving Class. Sign up in advance for the AARP-sponsored “Safe Driving Class.” The fee, payable to the instructor, is $12 for AARP members and $14 for non-members.
Anne Arundel County Senior Activity Centers offer free memberships for individuals 55 or older who are active, self-sufficient, and able to function independently. For more information, visit your local senior center to obtain orientation materials and take a tour. Adults 55 or older who need assistance with daily living activities, or their caregivers, should contact Information and Assistance at 410-222-4257 to learn more about alternatives to Senior Activity Centers.