Volunteer Opportunities: Sept. 11
A sampling of the volunteer opportunities listed with the Volunteer Center of Anne Arundel County:
Anne Arundel County Department of Recreation & Parks. The Department has a variety of ongoing volunteer opportunities at several parks in the County. Contact Nicki Fiocco at 410-222-7315, email email@example.com, and visit website at www.aacounty.org/recparks for more information.. Extra volunteers are needed for the following upcoming events:
- 4:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Sunday, October 14. , 3rd Annual Rec Deeds Tri Challenge Triathlon: All proceeds from the race go directly to Recreation Deeds for Special Needs, a non-profit organization providing scholarships and training to youth to participate in recreation programs throughout AA County. Volunteers are needed as course monitors, to help with registration, parking and refreshments, and at the start and finish lines. The event consists of a .25 mi. open water swim, 12.5 mi. bike ride and a 3.1 mi. run and is being held at Ft. Smallwood Park, Pasadena. Training is provided. For more information and to volunteer contact Nicki Fiocco.
- 12 to 6 p.m., Fri. Oct. 12; 8 to 10 a.m. Sat., Oct. 13; and 5 to 7 p.m., Sun., Oct. 14, Quiet Waters Art in the Park: This event is a juried art exhibit being held Oct. 13 & 14th which helps support the Friends of Quiet Waters Park. Volunteers are needed to help with a variety of tasks including equipment setup and take down. For more information and to volunteer, contact Nicki Fiocco.
Banneker-Douglas Museum. The Museum is announcing a four-session training program which prepares volunteer docents to share Maryland’s African American history with visitors to the Banneker-Douglass Museum. Participants will gain knowledge of African American history and learn presentation and public speaking skills while discovering the people, places, and events that shaped Maryland’s past, present, and future. Training will be held on different subjects on four consecutive Saturdays from 10 am–Noon as follows: 9/22, 9/29, 10/6, and 10/13/2012. Registration is required by Sept. 15, 2012. To register, contact LeRonn Herbert by telephone at 410.216.6181 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Friends of the Light House Shelter. This emergency shelter facility provides shelter for single men and women and families and runs a transitional housing program in Annapolis. Volunteers, 18 and over, are needed for a variety of duties associated with the food program, children’s programs, facilities cleaning & maintenance, office and administration, and adult education programs. Pro bono professional volunteers are also needed serve the shelter and its clients with specialized skills such as accounting, medicine, law, and carpentry. The hours are flexible for many tasks and training is provided. In addition to volunteers, the shelter has an immediate need for pantry food items because of a greatly increased demand for lunches. To volunteer or arrange for donations, contact Volunteer Services Coordinator Michele Marshall at 410-349-5056 Ext.14 or Marshall@AnnapolisLightHouse.org.
- Sun., Sept. 30, Friends of the Light House’s Run for Shelter and 5th Annual Jogging Joe Shafran Memorial Run: Volunteers are needed to help with set up and break down, registration, traffic and race control, and water aid stations.at both events being held at Quiet Waters Park; the Jogging Joe 4.2 mi. Run starts at 7:30 am, and the Run for Shelter Half Marathon starts at 7:45 am. Contact Jill McCabe at events@annapolislighthouse.
Bello Machre. This nonprofit provides loving homes for adults and children with developmental disabilities. Bello Machre is currently offering a variety of volunteer opportunities. In addition some specific opportunities include someone to pick up pastry donations from Starbucks and a volunteer with sewing experience to help a resident artist with putting together a display for next year’s art show. Contact Evette Watson at 443-702-3064 or email@example.com.
- 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Sat., Sept. 22, Employee Appreciation Picnic: Volunteer are needed to assist as greeters, raffle crew, set-up crew, clean-up crew, food service crew, and games crew. Contact Evette Watson.
- 2 to 5 p.m., Wed., Sept. 26, Emergency Preparedness Volunteer Drill Training: A number of volunteers are needed to assist with emergency preparedness exercises at Bello Machre residences from 2–5 pm, Wednesdays, Oct. 3, 10,17, 24, Nov. 7, and 13 (tentative), 2012. The exercises will train staff under simulated emergency conditions. Volunteers will assist by visiting homes, reviewing emergency plans, documenting information and evaluating drills at their assigned homes. No experience is necessary but volunteers must attend the 9/26 training and commit to participating a minimum of two day and have their own transportation. Contact Evette Watson.
Individual Emergency Preparedness Training, October 4, 2012. The Baltimore Urban Area Work Group and the University of Maryland Center for Health & Homeland Security invite the public to attend a free emergency preparedness training session being held in Anne Arundel Co. at the Severna Park Library, 45 W. McKinsey Rd., Severna Park, from 5:00–8:30 pm on Thurs., Oct. 4, 2012. Participants will learn to prepare their homes ahead of time for a hurricane or any major emergency or severe weather event. It is vitally important to make a plan well ahead and have the supplies necessary to either take shelter, or evacuate on short notice. This includes knowing what to do in several disaster scenarios – from tornadoes to hurricanes to power outages – and making a plan with your family. To register, either fill out the information on the following website: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MC9LY55 OR contact Elizabeth Webster (410-706-5718 or firstname.lastname@example.org), and provide your name, , phone number and/or email, and any accommodations you require to participate, as well as the date of the training you plan to attend.
Kunta Kinte Heritage Festival, Sat., Sept. 29. Volunteer opportunities are available now and on the event date for the 25th Annual Kunta Kinte Heritage Festival. The 25th annual Kunta Kinte Heritage Festival, coordinated by Kunta Kinte Celebrations, Inc., raises an awareness of the African-American heritage and the common challenges encountered by all ethnic groups striving to preserve their culture. The festival will be held at the Annapolis City Dock, Sat., Sept. 29, 2012 from 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Volunteer opportunities are available in the following areas: set up, refreshments, clean up, and more. For more information contact KuntaKinteCelebrations@gmail.com, call 443-623-2856 or visit www.kuntakinte.org/.
Opportunities Industrialization Center (OIC) (Annapolis). This Nonprofit agency provides job training and placement services to low income unemployed and underemployed residents of Anne Arundel County. A wide variety of volunteers are needed to assist with basic computer, GED, English as a Second Language (ESL), resume writing, math skills, writing skills, job skills, job interviewing classes and much more. There is an immediate need for one GED and one ESL instructor for which a small stipend and class materials are provided. Classes are held in Edgewater, daily from 9 am to 3 pm and on Mondays and Wednesdays evenings from 6 pm to 9 pm. Executive Director is Ed Greene.
Office volunteers are needed at the 2600 Solomons Island Rd. office Mon through Thurs from 9 am to Noon to answer phones, take messages, keep the Director’s calendar, assist clients, and assist with paper work and light filing. Some knowledge of keyboarding and Microsoft Word needed. Training provided. Contact Ed Greene 443-433-5894 or email@example.com. Volunteer receptionist needed at the Solomons Island Road office Monday through Thursday from noon to 4 p.m. to answer phones, take messages and assist as necessary. Training provided. Contact Ed Greene 443-433-5894 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Many Volunteer positions are available through the Volunteer Center For Anne Arundel County. If you do not see an opportunity below that fits your needs, contact the Volunteer Center at email@example.com or 410-897-9207. Check our Website: www.VolunteerAnneArundel.org.