Oct 2012: South County Senior Center Events
The South County Senior Activity Center announces events in October at the center, 27 Stepneys Lane, Edgewater, one of the seven senior centers operated by the Anne Arundel County Department of Aging and Disabilities.
- Oct. 5, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Book Sale. A huge assortment of all types of books will be available at bargain prices at the Book Sale.
- Oct. 10, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Fall Flower Sale. The fall Flower Sale is a fund raiser for the Hearts of Gold group that donates the money to Canine Companions for Independence as well as the Arthritis Foundation. The sale will feature mums, cabbage, kale, assorted colored asters, hanging baskets, and pansies in containers perfect for patio, deck or balcony. The center also is accepting perennials or fall gardening flea market items as donations.
- Oct. 11, 11 a.m. Medicare Talk. “How to Prevent Medicare Fraud and Abuse” at a program by Garman Sharma of the Senior Medicare Patrol at the Department of Aging and Disabilities.
- Oct. 15, 10 a.m. Estate Planning. Christine W. Hubbard, attorney, will present “Estate Planning, Asset Protection, and Charitable Giving.” The interactive program will address the fundamentals of estate planning, current estate tax laws, tax planning strategies, asset protection, and tax efficient ways to make charitable gifts. Attendees also will learn how to get started with their individual estate plans.
- Oct. 18, 11 a.m. Medicare Talk. A representative from the Department of Aging and Disabilities will talk on “Medicare Open Enrollment and Preventive Care Services” at 11 a.m. Oct. 18.
- Oct. 22, 10 a.m. Q&A on Rehab Loans. The Arundel Community Development Services will present two closely related programs at . The first is the Property Rehabilitation Program which provides deferred payment and/or low interest loans to income-eligible county residents. Rehabilitation work can include new roofs, installing or replacing heating systems, electrical and plumbing systems, and corrections to heat, safety, and other code violations. The second is the Accessibility Modification Program which provides deferred payment and/or low interest loans to county residents who need to make accessibility modification to their home to accommodate a disabled family member.
- Oct. 29, 10 a.m. Hearing Device Technologies Talk. Learn about “The Latest Technologies in Hearing Assistance Devices” from audiologist Kristin A. Krotz of Advanced Hearing Centers Inc. She’s talk about hearing loss and hearing aids, assistive listening devices, alerting systems, telecoils and loops – what they are and where to find them – as well as Medicare questions and answers.
Anne Arundel County Senior Activity Centers offer free memberships for individuals 55 or older who are active, self-sufficient, and able to function independently. For more information, visit your local senior center to obtain orientation materials and take a tour. Adults 55 or older who need assistance with daily living activities, or their caregivers, should contact Information and Assistance at 410-222-4257 to learn more about alternatives to Senior Activity Centers.