TOP 10: Things to Do to Prepare for ‘Sandy Frankenstorm’
1. If you are advised to evacuate, please do.
2. Have a three-day supply of food and water for your family (including pets).
3. Have a battery-powered radio, flashlights, batteries and candles in easy reach.
4. If you are on a well, fill up bathtubs with water to use for toilet flushing (non-potable).
5. Do laundry now while there is still electricity and running water.
6. Make ice in gallon-size Ziploc bags so that you can keep your refrigerator cold for an extra amount of time.
These bags of ice can become drinking water when they melt.
7. Check your homeowners insurance. Is the policy is up-to-date? Do you have a phone contact? Do you
know your deductibles and what is and isn’t covered?
8. Check prescription medicines and medical supplies. Do you have a good First Aid Kit?
9. Fuel up. Fill the tanks in vehicles in case there is a need to evacuate. Gas stations won’t be open
when there is no power. Fill gas cans and test generators and chain saws.
10. Bring in, store or lay flat items from the yard that could become projectiles—nobody wants an
Adirondack chair hitting the patio door at 65 MPH.