November 2012: South County Senior Center Activities
The South County Senior Activity Center announces events in November at the center, 27 Stepneys Lane, Edgewater, one of the seven senior centers operated by the Anne Arundel County Department of Aging and Disabilities. For information, call 410-222-1927.
- Nov. 2, 11:15 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. The center’s Computer Users Group will meet. The meeting will be about items which might be on your or your relatives’ wish list for new or different cyber items or gadgets for the holiday gift-giving season. Bring your questions to this open forum. Bring a flash/pen/jump/thumb drive to the meeting if you have one, and handouts will be digital.
- Nov. 5, 12:30 p.m. The Genealogy Club will tour the Family History Library, 1875 Ritchie Highway, Annapolis. The speaker will be Hugh Tonebene.
- Nov. 5, 12:30 p.m. A representative from the Arthritis Foundation will take on the topic of rheumatoid arthritis.
- Nov. 7, 1 p.m. Harpist Heidi Sturniolo will perform light classical, jazz and pop music.
- Nov. 8 Registration for the winter session of classes begins Nov. 8, with classes starting Jan. 7, 2013. For information, see www.aacounty.org/aging, or visit the center for class information, course choices, and registration directions. Registration will be accepted at the senior center until Dec. 13.
- Nov. 13, 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. The “55 Alive Safe Driving Class” will be offered. The fee is $12 for AARP members and $14 for non-members. Sign up in advance at the front desk. Veterans and their dependents may take this class for free.
- Nov. 13 through Nov. 16, 9 a.m. to noon. A holiday sale will be held in the center’s dining room. Participants can choose among a huge selection of decorations, craft items and gifts.
- Nov. 13, 9:30 a.m. The Advisory Council will meeting at the Edgewater Library next door to the senior activity center. Everyone is welcome to attend. The board of directors of the Friends of South County Senior Center will meet at 10:30 a.m.
- Nov. 13, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. “National Memory Screening Day” is a program offered by the Alzheimer’s Foundation of America. The local office of Visiting Angels will sponsor the event. Sign up for an appointment at the front desk.
- Nov. 13, 1 p.m. “New Kids on the Block” will be held and is an informative overview of the center’s happenings.
- Nov. 13, 1 p.m. Ballet Theatre of Maryland will present “Dances for Everyone.”
- Nov. 14, 10 a.m. “Taming the Paper Avalanche.” Are you drowning in paper? Feeling overwhelmed? Don’t know where to start? This one-hour talk with columnist and author Kater Leatherman will offer ideas on tackling paper, getting organized, and feeling more in control. Bring a pile of mail.
- Nov. 14. 1 p.m. “The P’s of Thanksgiving” will be performed. Thirst ‘N Howl presents a musical retrospective of this holiday and its transitions, and a time for folks to share their holiday stories.
- Nov. 15, 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. A reception for Muddy Creek Artists Guild will be held. These talented artists and senior center members are displaying their art work during November and December at the center. Meet the artists and enjoy refreshments.
- Nov. 21, 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. Allied Hearing Associates of Annapolis will provide licensed healthcare professionals for a free hearing aid cleaning as well as a free hearing screening test.
- Nov. 21, Noon. An ice cream social will be held. The cost is $2 and benefits the Hearts of Gold FUNdraisers for Canine Companions for Independence and the Arthritis Foundation.
- Nov. 27, 1 p.m. Award-winning actress Mary Ann Jung will perform as “Amelia Earhart.”
- Nov. 26, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The Maryland Insurance Administration will present “Insurance 101,” and have staff available to answer your questions and provide brochures. The MI”A can educate the public about their rights and can investigate written allegations if you believe an entity has violated state laws.
- Nov. 28, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. The center’s “High Fashion Jewelry Sale” will be held featuring Brighton, Chico’s and Tiffany’s-style jewelry, beaded jewelry, scarves, pins, rings, bracelets, and more. The event also is a Heart of Gold FUNdraiser to benefit Canine Companions for Independence and the Arthritis Foundation.
Senior activity centers will be closed Nov. 6 for Election Day, Nov. 12 for the Veterans’ Day holiday, and Nov. 22 and 23 for the Thanksgiving Holiday.
Anne Arundel County Senior Activity Centers offer free memberships for individuals 55 or older who are active, self-sufficient, and able to function independently. For more information, visit your local senior center to obtain orientation materials and take a tour. Adults 55 or older who need assistance with daily living activities, or their caregivers, should contact Information and Assistance at 410-222-4257 to learn more about alternatives to Senior Activity Centers.