Volunteer Opportunities: Nov. 6
Many Volunteer positions are available through the Volunteer Center For Anne Arundel County. If you do not see an opportunity below that fits your needs, contact the Volunteer Center at email@example.com or 410-897-9207. Check our Website: www.VolunteerAnneArundel.org. A few current volunteer opportunities are listed below.
Annapolis Film Festival. The Annapolis Film Festival, to be held in historic downtown Annapolis, Maryland, March 21-24, 2013, is accepting entries at www.annapolisfilmfestival.net via the link to “Withoutabox.” The deadline for submissions is December 15th, 2012. This is an opportunity to have your film showcased at an exciting, new festival which will be well attended by audiences from the entire region. Entries are being accepted in a number of categories and films will be shown at a variety of locations in downtown Annapolis. Selections will be made by a committee of film professionals with the final slate of 50-70 films announced after January 4th, 2013. The Festival will also feature internationally acclaimed film-makers, guest speakers, and panel discussions. For more information, please contact Dan Gvozden at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Anne Arundel County Department of Social Services. Holiday Sharing Program, now until end of December: This program matches donors with recipients, making it possible to serve families/seniors during the holidays each year. Become a donor for seniors and families in need; make a cash donation which is used to purchase food/clothing/toy gift certificates; sort toys or match donors with needy families and seniors. Donors contribute Thanksgiving and/or Christmas dinner, plus toys or clothing. Delivery is made in person. Families, clubs, businesses, schools and individuals can help the needy and celebrate the holidays in the true spirit of the season. If you are interested in becoming a donor please contact the Holiday Sharing office at 410-269-4462 or TSteele@dhr.state.md.us with questions or concerns.
Guiding Eyes for the Blind. This nonprofit organization serves the Bay Region by raising puppies as potential future guide dogs. Volunteer puppy raisers are needed to provide the love, support and direction these puppies need to prepare them for formal training. Volunteer raisers (as young as 13 with parental supervision) take puppies into their homes for fourteen to eighteen months and teach them manners and social skills. In addition to daily work and play with their dogs, raisers attend local classes and puppy evaluations. Puppy training classes are 7:00 pm on 2nd and 4th Thursday nights in Bowie. Contact Carrie Barnett at (410) 960-7427 or email@example.com, for more information.
Hearts & Homes for Youth (Mary’s Mount Manor). This organization helps troubled children and youth who are abused, neglected or runaways, become independent, productive adults by providing a broad spectrum of educational, residential, independent living and mental health programs throughout Maryland. In Harwood, the Mary’s Mount Manor is a therapeutic group home for emotionally disturbed young women who have suffered abuse, neglect or abandonment. Volunteers over 18 are needed for tutoring, mentoring, internships, renovation projects, recreation sponsors, office assistance, and beautification projects. Contact Loretta d’Eustachio at 301-589-8444 ext.212. firstname.lastname@example.org.
Light House Shelter. This emergency shelter facility provides shelter for single men and women and families and runs a transitional housing program in Annapolis. Volunteers, 18 and over, are needed for a variety of duties associated with the food program, children’s programs, facilities cleaning & maintenance, office and administration, and adult education programs. Donations of food are also being sought for holiday food baskets. For more information and to volunteer contact Michele Marshall at 410-349-5056 Ext.14 or Marshall@AnnapolisLightHouse.org. Extra volunteers are needed:
- Wed.–Fri., Nov.14-16, 2012, Thanksgiving Basket Preparation: Donations of food are being sought and volunteers are needed to help with assembling and organizing Thanksgiving food baskets
- 1–3 pm, and 5–7 pm, Mon., Nov. 19, 2012, Thanksgiving Basket Distribution: Volunteers are needed to assist staff in distribution of the Thanksgiving food baskets.
- Thurs., Nov. 22, 2012, Thanksgiving Dinner: Donations of food and volunteers are needed to help staff on various shifts during the day to prepare for and serve Thanksgiving dinner to shelter residents. Contact Michelle Marshall for more information.
We Care and Friends. Monday, November 19, 2011, Thanksgiving Dinner for those in need: Join the tradition of more than 20 years on the Monday before Thanksgiving, when We Care and Friends will be serving or delivering over 1,000 Thanksgiving dinners at the Stanton Community Center in Annapolis to people who are homeless or in need. The event offers the opportunity for people to enjoy dinner and entertainment with family, friends, and members of the community. The Thanksgiving event involves hundreds of local volunteers and numerous donations by area restaurants and organizations. If you are interested in joining our programs as a participant, mentor, or donator, contact us at 410-263-2874 or email@example.com.
Serving People Across Neighborhoods (SPAN). SPAN in cooperation with area churches help persons in their community in need of crisis assistance because of evictions, utility turn-off notices, emergency medical or prescription needs, food pantry or other services. Span needs volunteers to staff the office, work in the food pantry Monday and Wednesday mornings and donate food and other items for the pantry. Get your group to sponsor a food drive or pick up a few extra items when you shop and drop them off at SPAN Mon – Thurs, 10 am – 2 pm and Mon evenings 5 – 7 pm. One-time projects such as painting, cleaning windows, moving pantry shelves are also available. SPAN is located behind Our Shepherd Lutheran Church, 400 Benfield Road. Call 410-647-0889 or E-mail: SPANhelps@yahoo.com. Extra volunteers may be needed to help with the following fundraiser:
- 8:30 am, Sat., Nov. 17, 2012, 2nd Annual Stride for SPAN Turkey Trot: The 5K at Kinder Farm Park starts at 8:30am, followed by a one-mile fun-walk at 9:00am. Prizes will be awarded for the top three male and female finishers, and the first 125 registrants will receive Under Armour sackpacks. Registration for the 5K and fun walk is $25 and $15, respectively, and can be completed through November 9 at www.active.com.
YMCA Camp Letts. This Edgewater camp needs volunteers for ongoing upkeep of buildings grounds, trail clearing and general office support at the Retreat Center and Camp office. Special event volunteer opportunities are also available for several annual events. Contact Matt Garcia at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-919-1412.
- 7:30am, Thurs., Nov. 22, 2011, YMCA Camp Letts 13th Annual Turkey Chase: Volunteer help is needed for this annual 10K Run/5K Fun Walk fundraising event. Students can also receive volunteer hours for school. The morning of the race help is needed with registration, on course directions, water stops, and general encouragement. A volunteer form is available on the web site and contact Chessa Ormond at 410-919-1410 or email@example.com with any questions.