DEC 2012: South County Senior Center Events
The South County Senior Center is one of seven senior centers operated by Anne Arundel County Department of Aging and Disabilities. It is located at 27 Stepneys Lane in Edgewater, 410-222-1927. Membership is free and available for persons age 55 and older, is required for participation in programs.
The Senior Center’s trip booklet “Trips for 2013” is now available and deposits are being accepted. Pick up your booklet today!
Here are the programs and events happening in December:
- 12:30 p.m. Dec. 3. Genealogy Club: Getting Started by Bobbie Bold and Etta Sue Haggerty. This is meant to help those who want to get started in genealogy, however, all are welcome.
- 1 p.m. Dec. 5. Storyteller Jon Spelman portrays Yancey Register, a natural born folklorist and imagination stretcher. Yancey is a ‘rural raconteur’ or ‘talkin’ teller’ who spins tall tales, folktales, and learning stories, recreating the wise culture of North American oral tradition. Yancey begins a bit shyly, but soon he’s carried away by the imaginative power of his tales, hightailing along a trail of homespun humor and wise sayings.
- 1 p.m. Dec. 6. Chefs on the Go return for a festive meal which could easily be used for holiday entertaining. The menu includes: Christmas Antipasto made with a variety of colorful ingredients: artichoke hearts, mushrooms, pimento, peppers and a variety of seasonings. The soup will be long remembered, butternut squash and green apples, with again, many spices.
Our main dish is Pork Tenderloin served with Creamy Mushroom Gravy. The spiced tenderloin is tastefully cooked until tender and served with the gravy. Cardamon carrots provide a colorful and delicious taste served with the meat dish. The method of cooking the carrots gives them a nice, crispy taste and a variety of spices were also used with them. We end this meal by serving Chocolate Mousse Au Grand Mariner. Sign up at the front desk by paying your $3 supply fee.
- 10 a.m. Dec. 10. Hope for the Holidays. The holidays arrive, and there is an anticipation of what to expect. This anticipation may be tinged with anxiety a loved one is not physically present.
This workshop will provide suggestions for how you can honor your loved one and honor your own grief. We will discuss how grief affects us spiritually, emotionally, physically, and socially and how we might care for our families and ourselves during the holidays. Part of caring for ourselves might include how do we—or, do we not—engage in activities and rituals, and we will discuss how to navigate this aspect of the holidays. We may want to modify or create new traditions that celebrate the memories and gifts of our families/friends and what our loved one meant to us.
This approximately one-hour workshop is presented by Hospice of the Chesapeake staff and the support of Brightview Assisted Living. Refreshments will be served.
- 1 p.m. Dec. 10. Heritage Harbour Chorus returns to entertain us with their Christmas concert.
- 1 p.m. Dec. 10. Wreath / Centerpiece Making Workshop. Sign up is required to learn to make a festive holiday wreath. You’ll pay your $20 supply fee to the instructor Nancy Jenkins. Also, bring a grapevine, fake evergreen, or wire blank wreath form.
- 10 a.m. to noon, Dec. 12. Seated Massage. Sign up at the front desk for a free ten minute seated massage by Lillian M. Elliott, Professional Massage Therapist.
- 10 a.m. Dec. 12. Card Making Workshop. If you ever wanted to try your hand at making cards, here’s your chance. This workshop will teach you the basics of using rubber stamps, cardstock, patterned paper and embellishments to make your own original card. Two cards will be presented. The cost of supplies will be $3.00. See the display for samples of the cards that you will be making, and sign up at the front desk.
- 1 p.m. Dec. 12. Anne Arundel Co. Retired Teachers’ Chorus returns to entertain us with their Christmas concert.
- 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Dec. 14. Van Trip to ‘Holiday Happenings at St. Johns College. We make our annual visit to 12 noon performance of The Talent Machine Company , preceded by a meal at Double T Diner. Please pay the $5.00 ticket price for the show when signing up.
- 1 p.m. Dec. 14. Special Holiday Baked Treats. Sign up by paying your $3.00 supply fee for this special workshop by Melissa Owens.
- 1 p.m. Dec. 19. That Magic Kinda Guy Mike Rose returns. Mike’s show consists of impossible magic tricks, weird mind reading stunts, and off the wall comedy. Mike has been hard at work developing new and unusual magic tricks that are completely different from those he performed the last time he was here. You are guaranteed to see something you have never seen before.
- 1 p.m. Dec. 21. Healthy Holiday Side Dishes. Sign up by paying your $3.00 for this special workshop by Melissa Owens.