Program Helps Individuals Pay Heating Bills in Winter Months
As temperatures fall, heating bills rise, causing financial hardships for some in South County. Luckily, there are several programs that offer financial assistance for heating bills through the Office of Home and Energy Program. A chart of financial eligibility is available at the bottom of this story.
Take a look at the following information sent by Cierra Fisher, outreach coordinator for the Maryland Energy Program. Fisher is available every Monday from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. a the Mt. Zion Methodist Church, 122 Bayard Road in Lothian to help residents with their applications.
The Office of Home and Energy program (OHEP) offers two programs that help eligible Maryland residents pay their utility bills, minimize heating crisis and make energy costs more affordable.
- Maryland Energy Assistance (MEAP) – Provides a one-time heating season grant to low income families and individuals. Limited assistance is available to replace broken or inefficient furnaces. The program is available through the Maryland Department of Human Resources.
- Electric Universal Service Program (EUSP) – Provides a grant once a year to low income families and individuals based on their annual electric usage. To receive a grant, the applicant must have the electric bill in his or her name, agree to budget billing, and be income eligible. This program is a federal grant program administered through the Maryland Public Service Commission.
- Proof of income for the past 30 days for all household members (social security benefits, employment, unemployment, TCA, etc.)
- Copy of current lease, proof of mortgage or property tax bill
- Recent BGE or other utility bill
- Social security cards for everyone in the household
- Applicants photo ID
- Application (can fill out on site )
Income Eligibility Standards:
Income Eligibility Limits
Effective July 1, 2012 – June 30, 2013
Maximum Gross Monthly
Maximum Gross Yearly
1 $1,628.95 $19,547.50 2 $2,206.45 $26,477.50 3 $2,783.95 $33,407.50 4 $3,361.45 $40,337.50 5 $3,938.95 $47,267.50 6 $4,516.45 $54,197.50 For each additional