Shop Locally. There’s Great Stuff in Your Own Backyard
The South River Source is a locally-owned business. Cynthia and I promote other small businesses in the area on principle. We belong to the South County Chamber of Commerce. We’re into the “Buy Local” movement.
Yes, we live in a global economy. But success among local business leads to success in the community in other ways, including community service and charity.
A recent news item prompted me to look more closely at the local angle. It was the November factory fire in Bangladesh that killed 112 garment workers. They sewed clothes for brands that I recalled as proud American names: Faded Glory, Dickies and Walt Disney.
Could it make a difference to shop locally?
I don’t know the answer to that question. But I think it can’t hurt. So herewith is a list of a few places to buy locally-made gift items. There’s Egg Nog from Killarney House in Davidsonville, necklaces from Deale, paintings from Harwood, calendars in Shady Side and historic maps in Edgewater.
Off the Bay Gallery and Gifts, 5960 Deale Churchton Road, Deale. 410-353-5514.
- Artwork, jewelry, glasswork, paintings, photography, paper art, cards, kitchen ceramics and cutting boards. Prices vary, but are reasonable (for example, items under $10). Everything in the inventory is made by a local artisans. Owner Natalie Fluharti also owns Off the Cuff jewelry store in West River.
Killarney House, 584 West Central Avenue Davidsonville. 410-798-8700
- Galway Bay’s hand-crafted, traditional-style Egg Nog is manufactured to an old Irish recipe with alcohol, spices and Irish Cream. This unique Egg Nog is available by the bottle ($20), half-case (6 bottles for $120) and case (12 bottles for $200).
Wimsey Cove Art and Framing, 3141 Solomon’s Island Road, Edgewater. 410-956-7278
- Owner Elizabeth Ramirez is a watercolor painter and an expert framer. Her store carries a great selection of Maryland maps, including birds eye views, historic maps, plans, specific districts, seat of wars and more. In December, the gallery show is Donna Day. Her watercolors capture the true colors of the waterways of Annapolis. All her works are custom framed with archival materials. If you aren’t into buying an historic map or watercolor, have a favorite photo professionally framed, or a collage of family photos.
Twisted Bead, 167 Mitchell’s Chance Rd, Edgewater 410-956-5529
- Make a necklace, earrings or bracelet, get an old string of pearls professionally restrung, or find an already-made piece of jewelry, scarf or belt. Owner Michelle Tango also puts bead kits together with everything you need to make your own earrings, necklace or bracelet. Either make it at the shop where staff can help—or bring it home for a little fun for the crafty significant other in your life.
Watermans Calendar (Facebook), Shady Side. 443-813-1061
- The 2012 Watermen of South County calendar ($12) was created as a fundraiser for the Capt. Avery Museum in Shady Side. The photographs show watermen working the Chesapeake Bay. Order through Facebook this week and get two calendars for $20. Also available at Shady Side Market, Grauls Office supply in Deale and Swamp Circle Saloon in West River. Julie and Denny Howes helped to put it together to raise money for the museum’s many programs for school children.
Finally, athletic apparel from the local youth sport leagues. I can’t say where these items are made, but Russell and Holloway have disclosure forms on their websites due to the California supply-chain act, which requires clothing manufactures to disclose where items come from and the working conditions for their workers.
- Davidsonville Athletic Association has Gator-logoed items for youth and adult. A Titan jacket ($60), Adult dri-fit sport shirt ($40), adult long sleeve t-shirt ($20), youth hooded sweatshirt ($33)
- South River Youth Athletics have Seahawk-logoed Holloway golf shirts ($25), fleece winter hats ($12), tie dye t-shirts ($15), and sweatpants ($30).
- South County Youth Association has Holloway adrenaline jackets, youth ($33) or adult ($36), Russell t-shirts, youth or adult ($6.50), sweatpants youth or adult ($15-$18)
Finally, don’t forget about gift cards to local restaurants (Skippers Pier, South County Cafe or Petie Greens in Deale, Pirate’s Cove or Thursdays in Galesville, Yellowfin, Greene Turtle, Kahve Cafe or Coconut Joes in Edgewater, Killarney House in Davidsonville) or Day Spas (Gossip and Body Wellness in Edgewater, Spas at the Chesapeake Hotel, or The Palms in North Beach).