Volunteer Opportunities: February 25
Many Volunteer positions are available through the Volunteer Center For Anne Arundel County. If you do not see an opportunity below that fits your needs, contact the Volunteer Center at email@example.com or 410-897-9207.
The Arc advocates for and supports County citizens with developmental disabilities. Volunteers are needed to help with fund raising, assist in the office, with special events. Volunteers, 16 years and older, are also needed as gardening assistants at the Arc’s sensory garden in Annapolis, including plant care, patio maintenance, planting trees/shrubs, etc. and to help with leaf and yard maintenance at 30 homes the Arc manages throughout the County. Volunteers are also needed for painting at the homes and yard work for all of the spring and summer at the Spa Road office. Contact Angie DeMoreland at (410) 268-8085 or (410) 269-1883, or e-mail: ADemoreland@thearcccr.org. Website: www.thearcccr.org. Special event:
- 6:00 PM–8:30 PM, Tues., March 26, 2013, Annual Awards Ceremony and Banquet: The Arc is accepting nominations in several categories to honor those in the disability community who have made a difference and personified the Arc’s Core Values. The event will be held at the Annapolis DoubleTree Hotel. For more information about the award categories, nomination forms, and to attend the event visit the website or, contact Angie Demoreland at firstname.lastname@example.org or (410) 268-8085 or (410) 269-1883. Nominations are due by March 8, 2013.
The Bay Theatre is a professional, nonprofit repertory theatre company founded in 2002 in Annapolis to produce plays of superior quality and richness for audiences of diverse ages and cultures. The theatre company also promotes theatre education for students of all ages and provides working opportunities for theatre artists. Volunteers, age 16 and up, are needed for office assistance, one day per week, at the box office, and as ushers for performances; there is a CURRENT NEED FOR MORE VOLUNTEER USHERS. Also, hosts are needed for many of our visiting actors and directors that need a place to stay while they are in production. There is an immediate need for a House volunteer/manager. They would come on show nights at 6pm and organize to make sure everyone is in place, the audience gets in their seats smoothly etc. For more information contact Janet Luby at email@example.com or call 410-268-1333. Web site: www.baytheatre.org.
Homeless Resource Day, Sat., March 16, 2013
This “one-day, one stop” event is being held at Glen Burnie High School for individuals and families experiencing homelessness so they can access benefits, medical care, substance abuse resources, mental health counseling, and a variety of social services which can ultimately lead to housing and self-sufficiency. You can help by donating your time, goods, services, or money.
• 4–8 pm, Fri., Mar. 15, 2013 Resource Day Setup: Volunteers, age 15 and older, are needed to help with set up and receiving, sorting and organization of donations and giveaways.
• 7:30 am–6 pm, Sat., Mar. 16, 2013 Resource Day: Volunteers, age 18 and up, are needed, in shifts, to provide guidance to attendees, assist service providers, and help with distribution of donations. A 1½- hour training session is required for all Saturday volunteers. For information & sign up, go to web site www.aacounty.org/HomelessResource. For additional information, contact us at 410-269-4462 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
This nonprofit organization provides food, toiletries, and clothing to the hungry and homeless. Volunteers, as young as 6, are needed Saturdays (11:30am-2:30pm) and Sundays (1:00-4:00pm) to assist in distributing items and bag lunches in downtown Baltimore and Glen Burnie. Ongoing donations needed: men’s socks, toiletry items, men’s clothing, blankets, shoes in very good condition, sturdy napkins/paper towels, mustard, juice boxes, fold-over sandwich bags, lunch meat and fresh fruit. Ongoing through winter is the, coat, blanket, and gloves drive. Volunteers can meet in Glen Burnie to caravan up to Baltimore. There is also a critical need for cash donations to help pay rent for space used by Happy Helpers. Contact Bobbi Coffman at 443-433-2416 or Jeremy Putt – 301-943-3927or email email@example.com for more information about volunteering on all projects and events.
- Bag a Breakfast Project. Put together a bag breakfast for a homeless individual. Include box of cereal, with spoon and cup, poptart, fruit, hot chocolate package with cup and spoon, juice box, and napkin. Can be done anytime. Just drop off at Happy Helpers.
- 10:00 am–3:00 pm, 20th Annual Birthday Party for the Homeless, and 4:30-7:30 pm, Sat., March 16, 2012, Anniversary/Awards: The events are held at Bay Area Community Church, 884 Chesterfield Rd., Annapolis 21401. Lunch, ice cream cake, entertainment, and presents abound at the Birthday Party. Well over 100 distinguished awards will be presented to truly amazing volunteers at the Awards Celebration in the evening.
Volunteers are needed for coordinating and implementing activities for clients with MS in long term care facilities and at their homes such as: friendly visitors, monthly social meetings, crafts, trips and preparation and distribution of holiday baskets. Support Group Leaders are also needed who can start new groups for men, professional women, gay/lesbians, ethnic parents, etc. with MS in all Maryland counties. Meetings are held monthly. Also, volunteers are needed to help with fundraising events throughout the year (MS Walks, Rides) and to provide office support. Training is provided. For more information & to volunteer, call (443) 641-1200 or visit the website: http://mdm.nationalmssociety.org.
- 9:00 am, Sun., Apr. 7, 2013, 5K MS Walk: Volunteers are needed prior to and on the day of the event.to assist with the organization and management of the MS Walk being held at the Navy Marine Corps Memorial Stadium in Annapolis. Registration starts at 9:00 am, and the walk at 10:00 am. For more information contact Samantha Flottemesch at 443-641-1207 or firstname.lastname@example.org and visit the web site at: http://walkmdm.nationalmssociety.org.
Pets on Wheels is a not for profit volunteer 501(c)(3) organization which provides friendly visits from volunteers and their pets to those requiring the support of an institutional setting. Friendly volunteers with friendly pets and a little free time to visit with persons in partnering facilities. Volunteers are required to do at least one visit per month. For more information and to apply, visit the website at www.PetsOnWheels.org or contact email@example.com or 410-913-5569.
Sarah’s House is a supportive housing program for homeless women, children, and men in Anne Arundel County providing case management, childcare, transportation and employment services at Ft. Meade. Volunteer orientations are offered most Friday evenings 7:00pm-8:30pm at Sarah’s House. Volunteers can work directly with guests or behind the scenes. There are a variety of volunteer opportunities for individuals, families, businesses and groups of all faiths and ages. Especially needed are volunteers for childcare while parents attend training classes and to help with tutoring children with their homework during the school year. Please RSVP to Bruce Clopein at 410-519-5085, or firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit www.cc-md.org/sarahs-house/ for volunteer opportunities and donation wish lists. Event for which additional volunteers may be needed:
· 12:30–4:30 pm, Sun., March 3rd, 2012, 22nd Annual Family Bull & Oyster Roast: This fun-filled event being held at Michael’s Eighth Ave., 7220 Grayburn Drive, Glen Burnie, MD 21061 has something for everyone. There are all you can eat oysters, beef, turkey, and chicken, raffles, door prizes, silent auction, music and dancing and activities for children. For ticket information and to volunteer, contact Haley or Maryann, at 410-551-7722 Ext 1210 or email@example.com.