Sports: Boys Wrestling and Girls Basketball Show Moxie in Post Season
The final tournaments for high school winter sports are just days away—March 1-2 for wrestling and March 7-9 for basketball. Wrestlers at both South River and Southern will participate in the Maryland Wrestling Tournament for individuals this weekend at the University of Maryland, College Park. Only the girls basketball team from South River remains in contention for next weekend’s state final tournament at the UMBC RAC Arena in Baltimore.
Southern’s girls basketball team made it past the first round last week, winning 68-27 over Lackey on Friday. They ended the too-brief tournament run on Monday when they lost to Largo, 63-49. Southern’s boys basketball team (seeded 6th) fell in the first round to Marriotts Ridge (seeded 12th). The South River boys basketball team lost to Glen Burnie, 67-37 in the first round.
However, the Lady Seahawks continue to play very well in the post season. Seeded second coming into the regional Division 4A-East tournament, they will play Leonardtown at home on Wednesday night. Tipoff at 6 p.m.
So far, they got a bye in the first and then overtook Broadneck, 51-40 in the second. The winner of Wednesday’s game in Edgewater will play the winner of a concurrent game on Wednesday: North Point vs. Severna Park. North Point is the number one seed. Severna Park is the 12th seed. The winner of that game will go to the semi-final game in Baltimore next weekend.
In wrestling, South River plays in the Division 4A East. With 111.50 points, the Seahawks took second place overall in the qualifier. In the regional semi-finals, there are 14 weight categories with first through sixth place finishes available in each. The following wrestlers, ranked regional winners, will see action in the tournament this weekend in College Park:
- First place: Austin Alley, senior (126 lbs.)
- Second place: Anthony Rossi, senior (195 lbs.)
- Third Place:
- John Owens, junior (113 lbs.)
- Jordan Orme, senior (132 lbs.)
- Tre Puccinelli, junior (138 lbs.)
- Fourth place: Collin Alley, senior (145 lbs.)
- Fifth place: Baruch Talbot, senior (152 lbs.)
- Sixth place:
- Ryan Walker, senior (170 lbs.)
- Alex Mueller, junior (285 lbs.)
Southern High also has a number of wrestlers in the Division 1A/2A South tournament at College Park. Again, each of these semi-finalists are ranked within one of 14 weight categories. Their ranked regional winners are:
- First place:
- Chase McKenzie, senior (145 lbs.)
- Michael Tremper, senior (220 lbs.)
- Second place:
- Joshua Julan, junior (113 lbs.)
- Trevor Jewel, freshman (126 lbs.)
- Troy Bohner, junior (160 lbs.)
- Fourth place:
- Brendan Demas, sophomore (120 lbs.)
- Yuri Watson, senior (138 lbs.)
- Sixth place:
- Ben Carrier, junior (106 lbs.)
- Kyle Mills, sophomore (152 lbs.)
Congratulations to all of the athletes who played high school sports over the winter. Spring sports practices have already started at both schools. We’ll bring you more news on baseball, softball, unified Bocce, boys and girls lacrosse and tennis.