D’Ville United Methodist Church Sanctuary Renovated. Rededication Services this Sunday
The Davidsonville United Methodist Church recently renovated its sanctuary and will hold re-dedication services on Sunday, April 21st at 8:30 and 11:00 a.m. The church is located in the heart of Davidsonville at 819 W. Central Avenue.
The original building was consecrated on April 19, 1925 and has undergone many changes. An educational building was added in the 1950′s and in 2002 a new educational unit with a social hall and kitchen was built.
In 2011, a microburst damaged the Green Cathedral, the church’s outdoor worship area. Church members helped restore the site to its original beauty.
The Davidsonville United Methodist Church has a long history in Davidsonville. Here is a brief overview taken from the church’s website:
Tradition has it that in 1844 Thomas Davidson brought Methodism to the town that now bears his family name. Early on the church was known as Mount Wesley Chapel and it was in the Severn Circuit. In 1830, a group of Methodists who thought that laymen should be represented in the Methodist conferences, split off to form the Methodist Protestant Church. The question of slavery had also been a source of conflict and in 1844 the southern Methodists withdrew and formed the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.
In November 1846 Thomas and Jane Davidson sold a piece of land to the trustees of the church on which to build a place of worship. In 1858 Mt. Wesley Chapel was removed from the Severn Circuit and was placed on the newly-created South River Circuit, which was composed of then Mt. Tabor, Taylorsville (Riva); Piney Grove (Mayo) and Hope Chapel. The parsonage was to be located in Davidsonville. The church was rebuilt in 1883 upon the same location as the first Mt. Wesley, in what is now the cemetery. Early in the twentieth century it was seen that the new church was too small.
In 1922 the trustees purchased a half acre lot for the purpose of building a new church. The cornerstone was laid in 1924 and on Sunday, April 19, 1925,the Davidsonville Methodist Episcopal Church was consecrated.