Give Locally to Your Fave Charities During the ‘Great Give 2013′
Feel like you’d like to give to local charities, but don’t think your $25 contribution amounts to much? But what if you and 10 others each gave $25? Or 100 people each gave $25?
That’s one of the reasons to participate in the Great Give 2013. It’s local philanthropy where everyone can participate.
The Great Give 2013 is organized by the Community Foundation of Anne Arundel County. The event takes place over a 24-hour period from 7 p.m. to 7 p.m. on May 15-16.
Bess Langbein, Executive Director of the Community Foundation said that about 120 charities are registered to participate. Scroll down to see the South County charities that are included in the Great Give. Langbein said it is the first time that the Community Foundation of Anne Arundel has organized such an event.
“We’d heard about these 24-hour online giving days taking place around the country and decided hosting one here in our county would be a fun and unique way to inspire local charitable giving,” Langbein said.
The Great Give is also part competition with prizes and additional cash to be earned by the charities. The effort is also an opportunity to reward small local charities who do a lot to make a difference on often meager budgets.
Already, people have reached into their pockets to get the Great Give off to a great start. Langbein said that Bob Neall (South Countian and former County Executive) is one of the Founders of the event. Founders give a minimum donation of $5K. Homestead Gardens and the Riddle Family are also Founders. Donors have and will come from all corners of the county. Maryland Live! Casino is a presenting sponsor.
Follow the Great Give on Facebook.
We pulled the charities specific to South County and listed them below. We have included the Great Give link as well as the link to the charity website in case you need more information. The Great Give publishes the EIN (federal tax number) for these charities, allowing users to print out receipts for tax purposes.
Great Give South County Charities
- Great Give Link:Anne Arundel County Literacy Council
- AACLC website
- Program Director email
- AACLC Phone: 410-269-4419
Bountiful Backpacks, Davidsonville. The South County Rotary Club’s Bountiful Backpack Program provides nutritious meals to school children on the weekends. Hunger in Anne Arundel County is unfortunately a grim reality for many area children. Nutritious meals are available at school during the week, but weekends are not covered. That’s where Bountiful Backpacks come in. The backpacks are filled with a weekend supply of nourishing food for children to take home each Friday. The packs are returned on Monday and re-filled by club members and volunteers for the next weekend.
- Great Give Link: Bountiful Backpacks/South County Rotary
- Rotary Club of South Anne Arundel County website
Londontown Symphony Orchestra, Edgewater. Affordable, high-quality classical and popular music with a mission to bring the music and students of Anne Arundel County together.
Great Give Link: Londontowne Symphony Orchestra
- Londontowne Symphony Orchestra website
- LSO Phone: 410-562-8920
Great Give Link: Owensville Primary Care
- Owensville Primary Care website
Owensville Primary Care Phone: 410-867-4700
Great Give Link: Rude Ranch Animal Rescue
- Rude Ranch Animal Rescue website
- Rude Ranch Phone: 410-798-9559
South County Faith Network, Shady Side. Home-based care and services that enable South County seniors and disabled citizens to remain in their home with a higher quality of life.
South River Federation, Edgewater. SRF’s mission is to protect, preserve, restore and celebrate the South River and its interdependent living community.
Summit School, Edgewater. The Summit School is a coed, non-profit school for grades 1-8. Summit offers a highly individualized academic program for bright students with dyslexia and other learning differences.
It is too late for charities to sign on for the Great Give 2013. That said, we want readers to know that there are other South County charities that do good work in our area. And well, while your wallet is open, you might want to think of some of these folks too:
- South River Youth Athletics, Edgewater. SRYA is a youth sports association that fields recreational youth teams in baseball/softball, basketball, cheerleading, field hockey, football, lacrosse, rugby, soccer, and wrestling.
- Davidsonville Athletic Association, Davidsonville. DAA is a youth sports association that fields youth recreational teams in adaptive lacrosse, baseball/softball, basketball, cheerleading, field hockey, football, lacrosse, soccer, swimming, volleyball and wrestling.
- West/Rhode Riverkeeper, Shady Side. The riverkeeper’s office works with the community to enforce environmental laws, to promote restoration, and to advocate for better environmental policy. Phone: 410-867-7171.
- The DeCesaris-Prout Cancer Foundation, Davidsonville. This organization, in honor of Geaton DeCesaris, Jr. and Maureen Prout is a non-profit to find a cure for lung and ovarian cancer by bringing awareness and raising research dollars. Phone 410-571-8869
- Isabel’s Gift, Davidsonville. Isabel’s Gift was founded in 2002 after baby mom delivered baby Isabel early, necessitating a stay in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at Anne Arundel Medical Center. Many families end up in the NICU in an emergency setting. They don’t have many necessary and practical items and are sometimes a long ways from home. Isabel’s Gift provides bags with toothbrushes, notepads, water, blankets and more. By the way, baby Isabel is doing fine. Phone 443-510-2673.
- Relay for Life of Southern anne Arundel County, Edgewater. This annual American Cancer Society event is a 24-hour fundraiser that takes place takes place in June at South River High School. For information on the Edgewater Relay for Life, visit their team page.
- Capt. Avery Museum, Shady Side. This museum is the former home of Capt. Salem Avery who worked the waters of the Chesapeake Bay in the mid 1850s. The home is a National Historic Landmark. The museum hosts events for the public and collects documents and evidence of life in Shady Side and on the Chesapeake Bay. Phone 410-867-4486.
- Historic London Town and Gardens, Edgewater. At this historic site that is owned by Anne Arundel County and operated by the London Town Foundation, visitors can learn about history, archeology and horticulture. Phone 410-222-1919.
- South County Concert Association, Lothian. SCCA just finished their final concert of the season on May 3. That means only one thing: that they are planning for next year. The organizers of SCCA bring nationally recognized performers to South County about once a month from October to May. Subscribers enjoy a little bit of everything, from country to Motown, rock to Broadway. Performances are usually held at Southern High School in Harwood. Phone 410-867-1585.
- Did we miss your charity? Tell us in the comments!