HOT SHOTS: Four Rivers Heritage Area Meets at London Town and Gardens
Old Mother Nature heard that the folks responsible for the historic and natural heritage sites in Annapolis and South County were meeting last Thursday, so she delivered one of the nicest days of the summer. The luncheon, at Historic London Town and Gardens, included representatives from the dozen certified “heritage” sites and partners.
A heritage designation allows each of these organizations to receive grants from the aryland Heritage Area Authority. So far, these grants have totaled over $10 million over the past ten years, according to Pat Barland, chair of the Four Rivers Heritage sites.
The grants allow the organizations to enhance the experience for members and visitors. In addition, a program of mini-grants allows these sites to work on projects including oral history, brochures, websites, capital expenditures, books and stories and more.
At the luncheon, representatives and politicians came out to celebrate as well. The VIPs included Maryland state Sen. John Astle, Anne Arundel County Executive Laura Neuman and representatives for Sen. Ben Cardin and state Sen. Ed Reilly.
As part of their work, they plan Maryland Day (March 21-23 in 2014) and work to promote their sites to the public. Donna Ware, of the Historic Annapolis Foundation and stewardship chair of the Four Rivers Heritage Areas, said that on Sept. 23, there will be a Stewardship walk through Annapolis with details to come.
Here are the list of certified sites and affiliates:
- Captain Avery Museum (Shady Side)
- Carrie Weedon Science Center (Galesville)
- Deale Area Historical Society (Deale)
- Galesville Heritage Society (Galesville)
- Historic London Town and Gardens (Edgewater)
- Annapolis Maritime Museum (Annapolis)
- Anne Arundel County Courthouse Museum (Annapolis)
- Banneker-Douglass Museum (Annapolis)
- Charles Carroll House of Annapolis (Annapolis)
- Hammond-Harwood House (Annapolis)
- Historic Annapolis Foundation (Annapolis)
- Kunta Kinte-Alex Haley Foundation (Annapolis)
Sands House Foundation, Annapolis Community Boating, Annapolis Historic Preservation Commission,Archaeology in Annapolis,Asbury United Methodist Church,Capital City Colonials,Chesapeake Children’s Museum,Watermark,West Annapolis Heritage Partnership,Discover Annapolis Tours,Four Rivers,Four Rivers Quilt Project,Mythbusters Workshop,St. Anne’s School of Annapolis,Mainstreets Annapolis Partnership,Maryland Day Celebration, andRoots & Tides Scenic Byway.