Police Alert the Public to Door-to-Door Salesmen in the Area
Anne Arundel County Police have asked us to share this information with our readers:
We have received numerous Facebook posts and phone calls in reference to salespeople selling children’s books, mostly in the Pasadena and Glen Burnie areas. Some of the posts suggest this is a scam to kidnap children. We have no facts to indicate that this is true.
The salespeople work for the Southwestern Company, which recruits and trains college and university students to sell educational books, software, and website subscriptions door-to-door using direct selling methods. These individuals are independent contractors, not employees of the company, selling the products directly to private families at retail for delivery. Although the salespeople appear to be slightly agressive and ask a lot of questions about the children, this is their known sales tactic and there is nothing to indicate that a scam or any criminal activity is taking place at this time.
The Southwestern Company is registered with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and they have received several complaints about this company. The company is located in Nashville, TN, phone # 1.888.602.7867.
We recommend the following steps to concerned citizens:
- Advise the salesperson it’s a no sale and to leave your property
- If they fail to do so, call 911 to report a trespassing complaint.
- Do not allow any unknown salesperson into your home for your safety.
- And as always keep your house and cars locked.
You can also refer them to the BBB to file a complaint or call 410.347.3990.
- Lothian Crash Leaves Man, 35, With Life-Threatening Injuries; Thursday Afternoon Storms Cause Major Traffic Delays (southriversource.com)
- HOT SHOTS: Adopt an Adorable New Family Member This Saturday for Just $14! (southriversource.com)
- Central Middle School Bus Driver Caught on Cell Phone While at the Wheel (southriversource.com)