Fall 2013: Southern and South River Athletics—Field Hockey and Football
Fall athletics at area public high schools are underway. It seemed like a good time to check in and see how the teams were faring. We’ll look at Field Hockey and Football today. Next week, we’ll check in with Golf, Soccer and Volleyball.
The Girls South River Varsity Field Hockey team, under the direction head coach Megan Atkinson, is on a tear, winning 6 of the past 7 games. On Thursday, they’ll head to Broadneck for an away game that starts at 7 p.m. This will be their second time this season on the field against the Bruins—the beat them on Sept. 16, 1 to 0.
An important field hockey match-up for South County is coming up on Oct. 3, when the Seahawks will face off against the Bulldogs from Southern High School in Harwood. Game time is 7 p.m.
They’re at the half-way point in the season, with just three home games left, so plenty of time to get over to Seahawks stadium and cheer the girls on.
South River Girls Field Hockey Upcoming Games:
- Thu., Sept. 26, 7 p.m. Broadneck in Broadneck
- Mon., Sept. 30, 5:30 p.m., vs. Mt. DeSales at home
- Tue., Oct. 1, 7 p.m. vs. Northeast High in Pasadena
- Tues. Oct. 8, 7 p.m., vs Severna Park at home
- Thurs. Oct. 10, 7 p.m., vs North County at home
- Mon., Oct. 14, 7 p.m. vs. Chesapeake in Pasadena
The Southern High School Bulldogs Girls Field Hockey team is having a rougher start to the season (3-4), falling most recently to North County. They only have four more home games before the regular season ends (in bold, below). Come out and cheer for the ‘Dawgs.
In case you missed it, at their Sept. 17, game, the girls raised money for Anne Arundel Medical Center’s Starlight Foundation with their annual “Stick It To…” charity matchup at home against Annapolis. The money they raised helps families who may unexpectedly find themselves at the hospital with a sick child in the pediatric ward. The girls honored cancer survivors at the game and raised money too.
Southern Girls Field Hockey Upcoming Games:
- Thurs., Sept. 26, 5:30 p.m. vs Old Mill in Millersville
- Tues., Oct. 1, 7 p.m. vs. Broadneck at home
- Thurs., Oct. 3, 7 p.m. vs. South River at home
- Tue., Oct. 8, 7 p.m. vs. Chesapeake in Pasadena
- Thurs., Oct. 10, 7 p.m., vs. Severna Park in Severna Park
- Mon., Oct. 14, 7 p.m., vs. Meade High at home
- Wed., Oct. 16, 7 p.m. vs. Glen Burnie at home
The Southern Bulldogs (2-1) trounced the Northeast High School Eagles in their most recent game, running up a 47-8 score by the time it was all over. Seniors Ethan Aiken (QB), Dejuan Neal (RB) and Addison Myles (RB) all had great performances. Neal alone rushed for 118 yards, while both Neal and Myles each scored three touchdowns.
Also in the game, tight end Carrington Contee, senior, managed four tackles, bringing his total for the season to 22 (18 of those solo).
After the second week in their conference (2A-South), Southern sits in the middle of the pack. They won’t have an opportunity to play any of the other schools in their division until the post season. Here’s who left in their regular-season schedule in Anne Arundel County:
- Fri., Sept. 27, 6:30 p.m. vs. Broadneck at home
- Fri., Oct. 4, 6:30 p.m., vs. South River in Edgewater
- Fri., Oct. 11, 6:30 p.m., vs. Meade at home
- Sat., Oct. 19, 1 p.m., vs North County at home
- Fri., Oct. 25, 6:30 p.m. vs. Glen Burnie in Glen Burnie
- Fri., Nov. 1, 6:30 p.m. vs. Annapolis High at home
- Fri. Nov. 8, 6:30 p.m., vs, Chesapeake High in Pasadena
At South River, Coach Lance Clelland, now in his third year, lost nearly half his squad to graduating seniors last year, including two-time All-Anne Arundel County and Baltimore Sun All-Metro running back Lavon Chaney (now playing for Monmouth University in Jersey City, NJ, check out photos of him here).
This year, the team is 1-2, losing most recently to Broadneck (33-12). The Seahawks were on the board at the end of the first quarter, but by the half, they had earned all they were going to get. Broadneck, meanwhile, ran up the score a little each quarter through to the end.
The score doesn’t tell the whole story though. South River held onto the ball nearly three minutes longer than Broadneck and managed to get 17 first downs to Broadneck’s 14.
Converting those possessions and first downs to touchdowns proved to be the hurdle the Seahawks will have to overcome to stay in the hunt. That said, it’s early in the season. Packed stands would surely help them build their momentum with seven games left in the regular season.
Look for an exciting home game against Southern High on Oct. 4. It’ll be in Edgewater—6:30 p.m. kickoff. Grab the kids and have dinner at Seahawk Stadium (go for the soup if it’s a cold night—it is tasty).
Here are the remaining games in the regular season for South River:
- Sat., Sept. 28, 1 p.m. vs Old Mill in Millersville
- Fri, Oct. 4., 6:30 p.m. vs. Southern at home
- Sat., Oct. 12, 1 p.m., vs. North County in Glen Burnie
- Fri., Oct. 18, 6:30 p.m. vs Arundel at home
- Fri., Oct. 25, 6:30 p.m. vs. Severna Park in Severna Park
- Fri., Nov. 1, 6:30 p.m. vs. Glen Burnie High at home
- Fri., Nov. 8, 6:30 p.m. vs. Northeast High in Pasadena
- Southern and South River High School Fall Sports Schedules (southriversource.com)
- Tracking Turtles at Jug Bay with High School STEM Interns (southriversource.com)
- South River High Teacher Jodie Hogan Named State Teacher of the Year Finalist (southriversource.com)