Serial ‘Smash and Grab’ Burglar Busted After Breaking Into Park’s Liquor Store in Deale
A 54-year-old man has been arrested in charged in a string of “smash and grab” burglaries in all corners of the county after breaking into a South County liquor store in September. The man, David Edward Holland of Glen Burnie, was arrested on Sept. 20 after breaking into Parks Liquors at 454 East Bay Front Road in Deale. Police later linked Holland to eight additional burglaries with a similar pattern.
Anne Arundel County Police spokesman Justin Mulcahy said that police received crucial clues to a countywide burglary problem over the past ten month. On Sept. 20, at around 10:30 p.m., police were called to Parks Liquors where they confirmed a burglary had taken place.
After reviewing surveillance video from liquor store cameras, police were able to learn that the man was driving a 1997 Kia Sephia.
In Galesville, just after midnight, Officer Duane Raynor spotted the suspect traveling north on Muddy Creek Road. Additional officers assisted in a traffic stop where the driver was taken into custody, Mulcahy said. Evidence was also gathered from the car, including clothing that was worn during the Park’s Liquor burglary and other businesses that had been smash and grab targets.
A few days later, Anne Arundel County Police detectives and Annapolis Police Detectives met to discuss the series of burglaries. They determined that the person doing these burglaries would target small businesses overnight. Using a tire iron to smash out the front door glass, the suspect would take money and flee.
Using evidence recovered from the car, police were able to link Holland to the other burglaries. He has been charged with the following business break-ins:
- September 17, 2013– Pizza Bolis, 945 Central Avenue, Edgewater, Md
- Sept. 20, 2013– Parks Liquors, 454 East Bay Front Road, Deale, Md
- September 11, 2013–Tobacco Shop, 332 Mountain Road, Glen Burnie, Md
- September 17, 2013– Rita’s Italian Ice, 810-A Nursery Road, Linthicum, Md
- July 28, 2013– Starbucks Coffee, 503 Ritchie Highway, Severna Park, Md
- July 28, 2013– Jimmy Johns Subs, 537 Ritchie Highway, Severna Park, Md
- July 30, 2013– Quizno’s Subs, 7860 B Quarterfield Road, Severn, Md
- August 21, 2013– Roundz Gourmet Market, 2299 Johns Hopkins Road, Gambrills, Md
- September 11, 2013– Floyds Barber Shop, 1117 Route 3 South, Crofton, Md
Mulcahy said that police are also investigating numerous leads throughout the county over the past ten months that are very similar in nature.
According to court documents, this isn’t Holland’s first run-in with the law. He has convictions for burglary, theft, forgery and other crimes dating to the 1990s.
- Anne Arundel County Public Library to Extend Hours Beginning Jan. 2014 (southriversource.com)
- Fall 2013: Southern and South River Athletics – Field Hockey and Football (southriversource.com)
- South River High Makes US News ‘Top High Schools’ Ranking at No. 15 (southriversource.com)