Lego League ‘South County Showdown’ on Dec. 15 at South River High
FIRST Lego League‘s South County Showdown, hosted by the South River High School’s PowerHawks Robotics Club, is taking place on Dec. 15 at South River High in Edgewater. The fun kicks off at 9 a.m. and runs all day (until 5 p.m.).
FIRST Lego League is an international robotics competition for elementary and middle school students. Back in September, students in clubs from around the region were given the challenge. Each year the challenge is different.
This year's challenge is "Nature's Fury" a challenge to explore natural disasters including storms, earthquakes and waves. Robotics teams of students aged 9 to 16 will work to discover what can be done when intense natural events meet the places people live work and play. Learn more about the challenge here.
This is the fifth year that the PowerHawks have hosted the annual event.
The teams invite the public to come out to see students
- design, build & program robots using LEGO Mindstorms® technology
- apply real-world math and science concepts
- research challenges facing today’s scientists
- learn critical thinking, team-building & presentation skills
- celebrate their accomplishments in competition
If you'd like to be part of the excitement, they are looking for
- volunteers to be a judge or referee for the day
- help with advertising the event
- sponsors for trophies
For more information contact Event Coordinators Zachary Cohen or Ali Preston or Richard Chapman. "Like" the PowerHawks on Facebook. For more information, visit FIRST Lego League (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology).