What’s Going On: Dec. 5 to Dec. 15: South County Holidays in Full Swing!
Here are a few of the events happening this weekend in South County. Check our Calendar of Events for a more complete listing. If you’ve got something you want added to our Calendar or “What’s Going On,” please email Mitchelle@southriversource.com or call 410-353-4706. We’re happy to add it in as quickly as our fingers can type it.
Thursday, Dec. 5
- 6:30 p.m. Edgewater Branch Library: LegoPalooza! – 6:30 PM – Come for brick-snapping fun! Design and build your own fantastic creations. We’ll supply the Legos; please do not bring your own. The bricks stay at the library. Free.
Friday, Dec. 6
- 10 a.m. Bellwether Dry Goods Open House and Quilt Sale. Bellwether Dry Goods will host their annual Open House & Quilt Sale. Over 140 one-of-a-kind hand quilted quilts on display and for sale. In addition, a private collection of antique quilts will be offered for sale. Free. Bellweather Dry Goods, 137 Bayard Road, Lothian.
- 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. “The Return” Holiday Party and Book Signing at the Honey Hive in South River Colony Main Street. Join author A.L. Parks for the release day of his latest book, The Return. Meet the author, get a book signed, and enjoy some holiday cheer. There will be food, fun, music, and giveaways. Free. Honey Hive Cafe, 155 Mitchell’s Chance Road, Edgewater.
- 7 p.m. Southern High Drama Company’s Comedy Show. Repeats on Saturday, December 7 at 2:00 and 7:00. Enjoy classic comedy skits from I Love Lucy, Carol Burnett/Mama’s Family, and Saturday Night Live! Students, children, teachers $5. Adults (anyone out of high school) $8.00. Tickets sold 45 min. before show. Southern High School, 4400 Solomons Island Road, Harwood.
Saturday, Dec. 7
- 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Bulldawg Bazaar Craft Fair. Crafters, businesses, and various community and school organizations will be featured. Food will be available for purchase. Free admission. Southern High School, 4400 Solomons Island Road, Harwood.
- 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. London Towne Annual Holiday Gift Show by the Property Owner’s Association. Crafters are selling original crafts, fashion and gift items, plus. Vendors include Wine Shop at Home, Scentsy, Origami Owl, plus. New this year is a Secret Santa Shop just for kids to buy craft gifts for their families. Free admission and parking. Food available. London Towne Community Hall, 170 Mayo Rd, Edgewater.
- 10 a.m. Edgewater Elementary Bog Clean Up. Let’s Beautify a Bog! Join Federation staff on Saturday, December 7th at 10:00 am to cleanup trash and remove invasive species from the bog infront of Edgewater Elementary School at Washington on Mayo Road in Edgewater. Email Jennifer to R.S.V.P.
- 1 p.m. Holiday Wreath Making Workshop at Jug Bay. We will supply everything you need to make a beautiful wreath for the holidays using greens from the Glendening Preserve and areas around Jug Bay. Whether you are a novice or an expert, we will help you will make a wreath for your front door or a centerpiece for your table. Space is limited. Fee: $30/person or $25 for active volunteers and FOJB members. Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary, 1361 Wrighton Rd. , Lothian.
- 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. Southern High Drama Company’s Comedy Show. Enjoy classic comedy skits from I Love Lucy, Carol Burnett/Mama’s Family, and Saturday Night Live! Students, children, teachers $5. Adults (anyone out of high school) $8.00. Tickets sold 45 min. before show. Southern High School, 4400 Solomons Island Road, Harwood.
- 6 p.m. Deale Christmas Tree Lighting. Come out for the community Christmas Tree lighting ceremony in front of BB&T Bank in Deale (Rt. 258 & Rt. 256 circle).
- 12 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. London Town by Candlelight: A Day of Family Activities. Come to London Town to experience the site in a holiday spirit. Enjoy hearth cooking in the Lord Mayor’s Tenement from noon to 4:00pm. There is a Colonial Dance and Tea from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Candlelight tours from dusk until 5:30 p.m. Bedlam will provide festive music in the William Brown House from 3 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Program included in regular admission.
Sunday, Dec. 8
- 1 to 4 p.m. Holiday Open House at the Galesville Heritage Museum. The Museum will be featuring a display of model boats of the Chesapeake Bay built by Tom Cosden. Tom is a local resident from Lothian. He began building models when he retired 20 years ago. His first few boats were replicas of the hydroplanes that he was racing in the late ‘40s and early ‘50s. His work then focused on the progression of work boats of the Chesapeake Bay. His vast collection includes a Log Canoe, a Skipjack, a Bugeye and many other work boats used on the bay. He even has his own replica of The Emma Giles — The Emma Durm — which he named for his mother in law! Galesville Heritage Museum, 988 Main Street, Galesville.
- 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. (or so). Firehouse Santa with the Woodland Beach Volunteer Fire Department (follow link for pickup schedule). The Woodland Beach Volunteer Fire Department will be running their annual Santa Run to collect toys for needy families in Anne Arundel County. Check the list of stops and have a wrapped toy (labeled for gender and age) ready to go.
- 1:30 to 4 p.m. Capt. Avery Museum’s Annual Children’s Party. The Capt. Avery Museum, 1418 EW Shady Side Road in Shady Side will be hosting their annual holiday Children’s tree trimming party and Christmas party. Decorate the tree, make a craft and celebrate in the style of the era. Capt. Salem Avery Museum, 1418 E.W. Shady Side Road, Shady Side.
- 2 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Holiday Family Yoga with Renaissance Yoga. This session is for one and all: Great, great grannies to never-done-it before toddlers. There will be time for a healthy snack, a grab bag where all kids are recipients, as well as a free yoga gear raffle for adults – and much more. So come on out with your clan for this joyous occasion. $25 Adult, $35 Adult & Child, $40 Adult & 2 Children. Galesville Memorial Hall, 900 Main Street, Galesville.
Tuesday, Dec. 10
- 8 a.m. South County Business Women’s Network. Our subject matter expert is Nancy Wigal, Search Engine Academy of Wash. DC. Nancy will talk about the significant Google changes that have impacted websites in 2013, and what steps web owners can take to stay in Google’s good graces. The Honey Hive, 155 Mitchell’s Chance Road, Edgewater.
- 6:30 p.m. Galesville Community Dinner. Galesville Heritage Society Quarterly Dinner with guest speaker Greg Kearns (presentation is “Rails & Rice: Restoring Native Habitats on the Patuxent River.”). The menu will be ham and turkey, potatoes, vegetables, salad and dessert. $15/members; $20/nonmembers. RSVP by 12/8 to Dee Dixon, or call 410-867-3622. Galesville Memorial Hall, 952 Main Street, Galesville.
Friday, Dec. 13
- 7 p.m. Galesville Holiday Social. Holiday Social. Galesville Memorial Hall, 900 Main Street, Galesville.
- 5 p.m. South River Ice Hockey Club. South River High faces Broadneck High School on the ice. Navy Ice Rink, Annapolis.
- 1 p.m. Home School Program at Historic London Town and Gardens
A Colonial Holiday. Learn how to be a proper 18th century child. What were the holidays like for a family in London Town? Lessons on etiquette and dance will be offered to prepare you for a proper colonial tea service. Be sure to wear your finest and be on your best behavior. Preregistration is required. Ages: 7 and up Cost: $7 per person, includes tea service and craft. To register call 410-222-1919 x211.
Saturday, Dec. 14
- 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.Deale Volunteer Fire Department’s 37th Annual Christmas Bazaar. Luncheon, bake sale, crafts and more. $25. Deale Fire Hall 6007 Drum Point Road, Deale.
- 6 p.m. Ugly Sweater Concert and Party. Blair’s Londontowne Pub and Grill. Don’t miss this event! Join Adam Ritchie for the biggest ugly sweater party you have been too! Cover charge includes free drink. 726 Londontown Road, Edgewater.
Saturday, Dec. 15
- 9 a.m. Lego League First Robotics. Join us for all the excitement as elementary and middle-school students design, build and program robots using LEGO Mindstorms technology. Central Middle School, 201 E. Central Avenue, Edgewater.
- Lothian Ruritans Citrus Sale is Ongoing Until Nov. 15, Pickup is Dec. 7 (southriversource.com)
- Historic London Town & Gardens Tractor is Stolen – Can You Help Get it Back? (southriversource.com)