What’s Going On: Jan 10-18 Square Dances, Art Shows, Concerts and Science Talks
Here are a few of the events happening this weekend in South County. Check our Calendar of Events for a more complete listing. If you’ve got something you want added to our Calendar or “What’s Going On,” please email Mitchelle@southriversource.com or call 410-353-4706. We’re happy to add it in as quickly as our fingers can type it.
Saturday, Jan. 11
- 10 a.m. Muddy Creek Artist Guild exhibit at Capt. Avery Museum in Shady Side. Check out “South County, Place of Small Wonders,” with an artists’ reception from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. with artist talks, music and refreshments.
- 5:45 p.m. Galesville Square Dance and Potluck Dinner at Galesville Memorial Hall in Galesville. Potluck supper from 5:45 p.m. to 7 p.m. Dancing starts at 7 p.m. Called dances and instruction. fun for all ages – no experience necessary. At 8:30 p.m., more challenging dances. Ends at 10 p.m. Adults $10, kids 5 to 17 $5 and under 5 are free.
Sunday, Jan. 12
- Noon to 3 p.m. Soup and Science: Blue Catfish. Enjoy a variety of hearty homemade soups and fresh bread with fellow nature lovers at Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary in Lothian. Then enjoy a talk with SERC scientist Matthew Ogburn who will present information on blue catfish, an invasive species that has come to the Patuxent River.
- 3 to 4 p.m. Antarctic Science Talk at Carrie Weedon Science Center in Galesville. Peter West will present a talk about scientific research in Antarctica. West is the Education and Outreach Officer for the National Science Foundation’s Office of Polar Programs.
- 4 p.m. Londontowne Symphony Orchestra and the Arundel Vocal Arts Society at Calvery United Methodist Church on Rowe Blvd in Annapolis. Symphony No. 2 written by local composer Hollis Thoms, Bernstein’s Overture to Candide, Lauridsen’s Lux Aeterna, a Medley from Kern/Hammerstein’s Show Boat, and Holst’s “Jupiter” from The Planets. Tickets are $15.
Tuesday, Jan. 14
- 8 a.m. South County Women’s Network meeting at the Honey Hive Bakery in Edgewater. Speaker is Paul Dougherty, of Davis, Upton, Palumbo, & Dougherty, LLC, who will discuss the various legal entities for business.
Wednesday, Jan. 15
- 11 a.m. Capt. Salem Avery Museum Speaker Series with David Gendell, who will describe the 19th Century racing yacht, America.
Saturday, Jan. 18
- 10 a.m. South County Democratic Club Day of Service at South County Assistance Network (SCAN) at St. James Parish in Lothian. Bring a non-perishable food item (or a lot of non-perishable food items) and help the local food pantry in honor of the Day of Service.
- 11 a.m. South County Branch Library in Deale is hosting a talk about LADEE’s Mission for NASA. Learn about how NASA’s Lunar Atmosphere and Dust Environment Explorer sends information to scientists on earth.
- 7:30 p.m. South County Concert Association’s Legendary Ladies of Song. Come out to hear the music of Doris Day, Rosemary Clooney and Peggy Lee performed by Sue Matthews, a talented singer and actress, backed by a sextet of musicians. At Southern High School, 4400 Solomons Island Road, Harwood. Free to subscribers of the concert association or $20 per show. Click the link above to subscribe (7 shows for $40 for adult, $50 for one parent plus children and $100 for 2 parents plus children).
- Resolving to Make 2014 the Year to Get Fit at One of These Great So Co Fitness Facilities (southriversource.com)