July 2014: South County Senior Center Events and Activities
The South County Senior Center is one of seven senior centers operated by Anne Arundel County Department of Aging and Disabilities. It is located at 27 Stepneys Lane in Edgewater; the phone number is 410-222-1927. Membership, which is free and available for persons age 55 and older, is required for participation in programs. The South County Senior Center in Edgewater announces the following events and activities for July 2014:
Wednesday, July 2, 1 p.m.
- “Peggy Alee” ~ sings the music of Peggy Lee and Doris Day, including Fever, I’m a Woman, Teacher’s Pet, Everybody Loves a Lover, and many more, including patriotic songs.
Monday, July 7, 12:30 p.m.
- “Genealogy Club – LMNOP’s of Genealogy” ~ by Betty DeKisor of Kuethe Library.
Wednesday, July 9, 9 a.m. – noon
- “Maryland Insurance Administration” ~ is the state agency that enforces Maryland’s insurance laws. The MIA provides assistance to consumers in all areas of insurance, including life, health, disability, auto, homeowners and property. MIA can educate you about your rights and will investigate written allegations that an insurance entity has violated state law. Patricia Dorn, of the Consumer Education and Advocacy Unit, will be here at this time. Feel free to bring her your questions and concerns.
Wednesday, July 9, 12:30 p.m.
- “Movie on the Big Screen ~ Saving Mr. Banks.
Friday, July 11, 9 a.m. – noon
- “Christmas in July” ~ means our year is half over already! Get a jump start on this year’s holiday season! A variety of items – decorations, crafts, gifts – will be available
Monday, July 14, 10 .am.
- “Rightsizing Your Life” ~ Kater Leatherman returns to present this one hour workshop which includes looking at life transitions, signs and symptoms of being stuck, and learning how to shift with the tides of change in order to move forward.
Tuesday, July 15, 11 a.m.
- “Medicare Minutes Series Presentation” ~ A representative from Senior Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) and Senior Medicare Patrol (SMP) will be here to do a short presentation on Medicare and will take questions at the end. Please note that individual appointments are also available here twice each month.
Wednesday, July 16, noon
- “Ice Cream Sundae Social” ~ Bring $2.00 for a delicious ice cream sundae treat.
Wednesday, July 16, 1 p.m.
- “Magician Brandon Freeman” ~ will present a special magic show. Children and grandchildren are welcome!
Thursday, July 17, 1 p.m.
- “Do I Really Need a Hearing Aid?” ~ Dr. Kristin A. Krotz, Audiologist, of Advanced Hearing Group, will speak on the basics of hearing loss and hearing aides, and how to get started in the process of figuring it all out.
Friday, July 18, 10 – 11 a.m.
- “Senior Housing Opportunities in Anne Arundel County” ~ Housing options for our 55+ communities are constantly changing. To learn the latest information, plan to attend this upcoming class offered by a Center member and Senior Real Estate Specialist Marie Simpson, a Realtor with Long and Foster. Please sign up in advance to assure handouts.
Friday, July 18, 10 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
- “A Walk Through Annapolis” ~ Ride our County van into Annapolis and meet up with a guide for a 2 1/4 hour tour. Lunch is then on your own, and return to the Center by 2:30 pm. Cost is $16, payable upon signup. Sign up deadline is July 11. Please note: This tour requires a lot of walking.
Monday, July 21, 10 a.m.
- “Home Health Care and How to Select a Good Agency” ~ Mr. Jim Dodd, representing Accredited Home Health Care, will present this program so youcan make informed choices. The topics he will cover include:
- Different types of home health care (skilled and non-skilled)
- Hiring aides yourself vs. using an agency
- How to determine if an agency is in it for the patient or just the money
- What Maryland laws should the agency be following?
- Caregiver problems and how to avoid them
- Different methods of payment for home health care
- Long term care insurance – how it works
- What to do if you have a problem or complaint.
Friday, July 25, 10 a.m.
- “A Taste of Spice” ~ Food Historian Joyce White returns to present her latest program, A Taste of Spices. What’s Kitchen Pepper? Where does allspice come from? How do I use mace in a recipe? Why did Medieval people use so many spices in their dishes? Attend this fun and informative program to learn about the history of spices from the important trade in pepper from the Middle East to the Far East along the Silk Road to today’s modern international palate. A variety of popular and some obscure spices will be discussed to raise your awareness of their history and uses so the next time you stroll down the spice aisle in your local grocery store, you will know the secrets in those little canisters and jars. The presentation will be followed by a chance to taste an assortment of spiced dishes, Chai Spiced Tea, and participants will take home a special historic spice blend! Be sure to sign up in advance!
Wednesday, July 30, 1 p.m.
- “Sharon Poet Day” at South County Senior Center. Her Retirement Party is scheduled at 1 pm! We hope you can join us! Mark your calendar!!
Thursday, July 31
- “Registration for Fall Classes begins” ~ Classes will start on Wednesday, October 1.