What’s Going On July 11-18: Art in the Garden, Paint and Sip, Science Lectures and More!
Here are a few of the events happening this coming week in South County. Check our Calendar of Events for a more complete listing. If you’ve got something you want added to our Calendar or “What’s Going On,” please email Mitchelle@southriversource.com or Cynthia@southriversource.com. We’re happy to add it in as quickly as our fingers can type it.
Friday, July 11
- 7 p.m. Free Family Movie Night at the Mayo United Methodist Church at 1005 Old Turkey Point Road, Edgewater. Enjoy a screening of Frozen while munching on free popcorn. The movie will be shown in the outdoor chapel.
Friday, July 11 and Saturday, July 12
- Join in the fun at the Deale Volunteer Fire Department’s Annual Carnival. The Carnival is open on Friday and Saturday from 7 to 11 p.m. There will be rides, games, food, music and more. The Annual Firemen’s Parade will be held on the last day of the Carnival on July 12th at 6:30 p.m. The Carnival is being held behind the fire station off Drum Point Road in Deale.
Saturday, July 12
- 4 p.m. Paint and Sip at My Fancy Finds located at 5504 Muddy Creek Road Suite A, West River. Come create a masterpiece of your very own under the instruction of local artist Renee Brennan. It will be a “Starry Night” of fun. Space is limited so call 443-254-1221 or come in to reserve your spot It’s $40 per person which includes supplies and light refreshments.
- 6:30 p.m. Shady Side Live Open-Mic Night For South County Teen Performers at the Shady Side Community Center located at 1431 Snug Harbor Road. Music, stories, poetry, comedy, art work, and short videos. The public is welcome to attend and donations are accepted. Snacks and refreshments will be available. Future dates include July 26 and August 9.
Sunday, July 13
- 12 p.m. Art in the Garden at the Captain Avery Museum. Bring the entire family and get in touch with your creative side by painting a canvas or flowerpot with an image from the rain scape or the waterfront view along the West River. The event includes canvas or flowerpot, paint and brush, with homemade sugar cookies and lemonade served to you while you paint (sponsored by Christopher’s Fine Foods). A few painters from the Muddy Creek Artist’s Guild will be on hand to join the fun. The cost is $15 per person. After the program, at no additional charge, guests can tour the exhibit at the Museum, “Life on the Water: Seasons of the West River Watermen.” Also available are Kid’s Discovery Kits to explore the garden and the resident osprey nest with magnifying glasses, binoculars, and plant and animal education cards. To register visit www.captainaverymuseum.org or call 410-867-4486.
Tuesday, July 15
- 7 p.m. Smithsonian Science Lecture “We Can Do It; You Can Help! Citizen Science at SERC” with speaker: Dr. Alison Cawood. Citizen science—public participation in scientific discoveries—is taking research to new heights. At SERC, they are finding more ways to involve the community in environmental science research, from archaeology to experimental forests. Come learn more about citizen science projects all over the world and find out how you can get involved at SERC. Light refreshments start at 6:30 p.m. and the lectures run from 7 to 8 p.m. The lectures will be held at the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center, Schmidt Conference Center. The event is free. Contact Kristen Minogue at firstname.lastname@example.org or 443-482-2325 for additional information.
Wednesday, July 16
- 6 p.m. SoCo Women’s Network meeting at Skipper’s Pier Dock Bar, 6158 Drum Point Road, Deale. The event runs from 6 to 8 p.m.
Thursday, July 17
- 5 p.m. West/Rhode Riverkeeper, in partnership with Discovery Village, will offer free kayaking beginning at 5 p.m. and wrapping up 30 minutes before sunset. Kayaks, paddles, and life vests will be provided on a first come, first served basis. Both single and tandem kayaks are available. Children are welcome, but must be accompanied by an adult. In the event of inclement weather, kayaking will be canceled and that news will be posted on their website.
- 7 p.m. Carter’s United Methodist Church, United Methodist Women Night. The theme is “Rejoice, Renew and Restore Me” with guest speaker, Sis. Leslie Newman Lay Servant, Wards Memorial U.M.C., Rev. Brenda J. Mack, Pastor and Sis. Evette Howard, UMW President. Carter’s United Methodist Church is located at 6715 Old Solomons Island Road, Friendship. Call 301- 855-2500 or email email@example.com for additional information.