July 28: Volunteer Opportunities
Many Volunteer positions are available through the Volunteer Center For Anne Arundel County. If you do not see an opportunity below that fits your needs, contact the Volunteer Center at email@example.com or 410-897-9207. A few current volunteer opportunities are listed below.
This nonprofit organization provides food, toiletries, and clothing to the hungry and homeless. Volunteers, as young as 6, are needed Saturdays (11:30am-2:30pm) and Sundays (1:00-4:00pm) to assist in distributing items and bag lunches in downtown Baltimore and Glen Burnie. Ongoing donations needed: men’s socks, toiletry items, men’s clothing, blankets, shoes in very good condition, sturdy napkins/paper towels, mustard, juice boxes, fold-over sandwich bags, lunch meat and fresh fruit. Volunteers can meet in Glen Burnie to caravan up to Baltimore. Contact Bobbi Coffman at 443-433-2416 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about volunteering on all projects and events.
- Bag a Breakfast Project. Put together a bag breakfast for a homeless individual. Include box of cereal, with spoon and cup, poptart, fruit, hot chocolate package with cup and spoon, juice box, and napkin. Can be done anytime. Just drop off at Happy Helpers.
- 9 am–5 pm, Sat., Aug. 9, 2014, Annual Back-to-School Distribution to Guatemalan Children: Volunteers are needed to help with distribution of clothing, groceries, and school supplies for needy Guatemalan children in Marydel. This terrific event is a favorite of our volunteers. Refreshments will be served.
- 9:00 a.m.–2:00 p.m, Thurs., Sept. 11, 2014, 10 Annual “Worldwide Freedom Harvest”: Held in honor of the victims and heroes of 9/11/01, Donations of food are needed at the Anne Arundel Co. Food and Resource Bank. Items most needed include: cereal, peanut butter, canned meats, canned fruit, and soup.
- 4:00–7:00 p.m, Sat., Sept. 20, 2014, 5th Annual Spaghetti Dinner Fundraiser: The dinner will be held at St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church, 308 Oak Manor Dr., Glen Burnie 21061.
The Boys & Girls Clubs of Annapolis & Anne Arundel County (BGCAA) is a nonprofit which reaches more than 2,800 youth every year from the ages of 5 to 18. As a community-based organization BGCAA is uniquely positioned to positively affect the lives of youth through membership and community outreach in six Club locations – four in Annapolis, one in Severn and one in Pasadena. From nutrition programs and hot meals that help keep kids healthy, to educational initiatives that enhance their performance in school and character-building programs that instill the importance of community service, BGCAA continues to prepare the next generation for success. BGCAA’s mission is to “inspire and enable all young people, especially those who need us most, to realize their full potential as productive, responsible and caring citizens”. Volunteers are needed as tutors, mentors, assistants in computer labs, arts & crafts program leaders, sports coaches, and to provide administrative help in the office. For more information on volunteer opportunities or to request an application, please contact Tierra Snowden at TSnowden@bgcaa.com or call 410-263-2542. Web site is: www.BGCAA.org
- 9:00 a.m.–2:00 p.m., Mon.-Fri., Aug. 11-15, 2014, Basketball, Flag Football & Cheerleading Camp: The Boys & Girls Club at Bates in Annapolis will be hosting camp for all levels. Youth from age 6-12 are invited to attend. Registration is $75 per child ($55 for Club Members. To sign-up call 410-263-2542 or visit the Boys & Girls Club at Bates, 121 S. Villa Ave., Annapolis.
The Community Foundation of Anne Arundel County is seeking nominations for its 14th Annual Philanthropy Celebration. Awards will be presented to the Community Foundation of Anne Arundel County’s Philanthropist, Volunteer, Corporate Philanthropist and Foundation of the Year. The winners will receive their awards at the annual Celebration of Philanthropy in Anne Arundel County Luncheon which will take place this year on Friday, Nov. 21, 2014, from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at the Doubletree Hotel on Holiday Court in Annapolis. Nomination deadline is Thurs., August 7, 2013. Forms may be downloaded from the Internet and submitted, with supporting documents, by fax to 410-280-1104 or by mail to Community Foundation of Anne Arundel County, 914 Bay Ridge Road, Suite 220, Annapolis, MD 21403. For more information, including Internet download links, contact email@example.com or 410-280-1102.
Junior League of Annapolis, Inc. invites women in the community who are interested in learning more about joining the Junior League to attend one of its New Member Open Houses being held on August 16, 2014 from 11-12:30 p.m. in Davidsonville and on September 10, 2014 from 6:30-8:30 p.m. at Metropolitan Kitchen & Lounge on West Street in Annapolis. All women over the age of 21 years, living in Anne Arundel County and its vicinity, are invited to attend these open house events and apply for membership to the organization’s fall 2014 provisional training classes. For more information contact Sarah Jane Dunaway, Vice President of Communications at 443-995-2540 or visit www.jlannapolis.org.
The Magothy River Association, in conjunction with the state sponsored “Marylanders Grow Oysters” program, is again recruiting oyster gardeners for the 2014-2015 season. If you have access to a pier on the Magothy River, and can spare a few minutes every week or so, you can do this! The MGO program is free to all participants. This is at least a one year commitment. The oysters you grow will be placed on restored oyster reefs in the Magothy River in the summer of 2015. We ask that you consider taking a new batch of oysters at that time to start the process over again. To sign up, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, street address, phone, e-mail, and information about previous participation, if any. The cut-off for signing up is August 31, 2014. The oyster-spat pickup is tentatively planned for September 6 and 7. Details will be sent as the program evolves. For more information the following website: http://www.h2006.net/MRAOys01.
Success in Style is a nonprofit which helps disadvantaged men and women find employment by providing interview appropriate attire at no cost. Volunteer consultants are needed to help find appropriate well-fitting attire from our inventory. Training will be provided. For more information contact Missy Burke at 301-498-5035 or email@example.com. See website: www.successinstyle.org.
- 10:00 a.m.–Noon, Tues., Aug. 5, 2014, Volunteer Consultant Training: Training will be held for female consultants willing to commit to one-day per month to serving men and women in the Glen Burnie area who are seeking employment; consultants will be providing them with interview appropriate attire. During this hands-on training, prospective consultants will have an opportunity to walk through all aspects of an actual appointment using inventory in the studio. Training will take place in our new studio and the conference room at AA Dept. of Social Services on the 3rd floor of the Maryland State Multi-Service Center/District Court Bldg. at 7500 Ritchie Hwy., Glen Burnie, MD 21061. For information and to register, contact Kathy Botsford at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-498-5035.
- 11:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m and 4:00-6:00 p.m. Thurs., Aug. 7, 2014, Official Opening: We would like to invite community leaders, businesses, non-profits, and interested volunteers to see our new studio located in the District Court Bldg. in Glen Burnie. Learn how we help disadvantaged men and women find employment by providing them with interview appropriate attire at no cost. Please RSVP to Eventbrite at– https://www.eventbrite.com/e/success-in-style-glen-burnie-open-house-tickets-12263413199 .