What’s Going On August 1-8: Galesville Hot Sox, National Night Out, Mayo Beach Park and More!
Here are a few of the events happening this coming weekend in South County. Check our Calendar of Events for a more complete listing. If you’ve got something you want added to our Calendar or “What’s Going On,” please email Mitchelle@southriversource.com or Cynthia@southriversource.com. We’re happy to add it in as quickly as our fingers can type it.
Friday, August 1
- 12 p.m. Drug Free Community Meeting. South County Substance Abuse Coalition meeting at the Anne Arundel County Southern District Police Station, 35 Stepneys Lane, Edgewater. Contact Sandy Smolnicky at email@example.com for more information.
Saturday, August 2
- 9 a.m. SPCA of Anne Arundel County Adoption Event at Edgewater Fitness. The SPCA will host an adoption event at Edgewater Fitness on Saturday, August 2 from 9 a.m. to noon. Check out the adorable cats and dogs available for adoption, or drop of donation items for the SPCA.
- 11 a.m. Galesville Hot Sox Community Day – join the Hometown Teams project who will be hosting former Galesville Hot Sox Ballplayers at the Community Center at 916 West Benning Road in Galesville.
Sunday, August 3
- 10 a.m. Open Mayo Beach Park. There will be five open days at Mayo Beach Park this summer. The dates are August 3rd, August 17th, September 17th, September 21 and October 5th. Mayo Beach Park is located at 4150 Honeysuckle Drive, Edgewater.
- 1:30 p.m. Sundae Sunday at the Captain Avery Museum. Relax and enjoy a 2 scoop sundae with banana slices, topping, whipped cream and cherry plus a variety of kids’ games on the lawn and a Shady Side Soft Serve coupon for a free cone $5 per person for members and $6 perperson for nonmembers.
- 5 p.m. Historic London Town Gardens Free Summer Concert Series. Enjoy a variety of music in their ornamental gardens. Bring your own blankets and chairs and a picnic to enjoy. Alcohol is not allowed to be brought on site but beer, wine, other beverages and snacks – including Bayside Bull BBQ’s pulled pork for sandwiches – will be available for sale. Held rain or shine. Admission is free but donations are greatly appreciated. Back by popular demand, Naked Blue will perform their enchanting music at London Town on August 3.
- 5 p.m. Dodon Vineyards Party Dodon ’til Dusk. Join Dodon Vineyards for an outdoor party with live music and wine tasting. Tasting includes Dodon Sauvignon Blanc 2013, Dodon Rosé 2013 and Stockett’s Run 2012 Red Table Wine. Small plates by local caterers will be avaliable for purchase. Informal Q & A in the vineyard and winery from 5 to 7 p.m. Dance to music by Big Boy Little blues band from 6 to 8 p.m. Ticket price: $30, includes 3 wine samples and 1 glass of wine.
Tuesday, August 5
- 2 p.m. The Shady Side Community Center is hosting a blood drive at the Community Center located at 1431 Snug Harbor Road in Shady Side. To donate blood, you must be between 17 and 75 years old, in good health and at least 110 lbs. You can give blood while taking most medications. Reservations are not required. Please donate and give the gift of life. For more information, call 410-867-2599.
- 6 p.m. National Night Out Shady Side. Join citizens, police, firefighters and other public safety officials and supporters at the Shady Side National Night Out. There will be live music, free food and lots of friendly faces.
Thursday, August 7
- 5 p.m. West/Rhode Riverkeeper, in partnership with Discovery Village, will offer free kayaking. They will begin at 5 p.m. and wrap it up 30 minutes before sunset. Kayaks, paddles, and life vests will be provided on a first come, first served basis. Both single and tandem kayaks are available. Children are welcome, but must be accompanied by an adult. In the event of inclement weather, kayaking will be canceled and that news will be posted on their website.