What’s Going On August 16-22: Fitness Festival, Swimmable Action Day, Summer Concerts and More!
Here are a few of the events happening this coming weekend in South County. Check our Calendar of Events for a more complete listing. If you’ve got something you want added to our Calendar or “What’s Going On,” please email Mitchelle@southriversource.com or Cynthia@southriversource.com. We’re happy to add it in as quickly as our fingers can type it.
Saturday, August 16
- 10 a.m. Fun & Fit Southern Maryland - This community festival is a fun way to spend quality time
with family and friends while educating and encouraging healthier lifestyles, healthy eating, and disease prevention by getting fit and staying active. The kids will have a blast with our moon bounce, water slide, and even get to meet Minnie Mouse. Individuals are invited to come out in their sweats and tennis shoes and join in on the exercise classes, collect health information, and get healthy food samples. This event is free to the community. For more info, please visit www.ChooseToLose.org or call 410-741-0006.
- 11 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Junior League Open House - The Junior League of Annapolis invites women in the community who are interested in learning more about joining the Junior League to attend one of its New Member Open Houses. The first will take place in Davidsonville. The second opportunity will take place on September 10, 2014 from 6:30-8:30 p.m. at Metropolitan Kitchen & Lounge on West Street in Annapolis. All women over the age of 21 years, living in Anne Arundel County and its vicinity, are invited to attend these open house events and apply for membership to the organization’s fall 2014 provisional training classes. For more information contact Sarah Jane Dunaway, Vice President of Communications at 443-995-2540.
Sunday, August 17
- 10 a.m. Open Mayo Beach Park - There will be 5 open days at Mayo Beach Park this summer. The dates are August 3rd, August 17th, September 17th, September 21 and October 5th.
- 11 a.m. Swimmable Action Day - The South River Federation is hosting their second Swimmable Action Day at Mayo Beach Park on Sunday August 17 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. The public is invited to enjoy a celebration of swimmable waters in the Chesapeake Bay. Kayaks, canoes and paddleboards are welcome to join the fun and can be rented by the hour through Annapolis Community Boating.
- 5 – 7 p.m. Historic London Town and Gardens Summer Concert - Enjoy a variety of music in their ornamental gardens. Bring your own blankets and chairs and a picnic to enjoy. Alcohol is not allowed to be brought on site but beer, wine, other beverages and snacks – including Bayside Bull BBQ’s pulled pork for sandwiches – will be available for sale. Held rain or shine. Admission is free but donations are greatly appreciated.
Tuesday, August 19
- 6 p.m. Business After Hours Mixer - Southern Anne Arundel Chamber of Commerce After Hours Mixer at Joy Kids Learning Center in Edgewater. It’s $10 for members and $15 for non-members. Joy Kid’s Learning Center is located at 35 Mayo Road, Edgewater.
- 7 – 8 p.m. SERC Evening Lecture Series - A tale of two parasites: From a regional to a global perspective. Held in the Schmidt Conference Center. Marine parasites receive lots of attention for causing devastating diseases. But we still know very little about where they occur, how many there are and how they are spread. Highlighting two parasites in the Chesapeake Bay, Dr. Katrina Lohan outlines what we do and don’t know about them, including how humans may be responsible for their continued expansion around the globe. The event is free and pre-registration is not required. Contact Kristen Minogue (email@example.com; 443-482-2325) for additional information.
Thursday, August 21
- 5 p.m. West/Rhode Riverkeeper, in partnership with Discovery Village – will offer free kayaking. They will begin at 5 p.m. and wrap it up 30 minutes before sunset. Kayaks, paddles, and life vests will be provided on a first come, first served basis. Both single and tandem kayaks are available. Children are welcome, but must be accompanied by an adult. In the event of inclement weather, kayaking will be canceled and that news will be posted on their website.
Friday, August 22
- 1- 4 p.m. SERC: Chesapeake Parasite Project - Help our marine biologist track an invasive parasite infecting mud crabs in Chesapeake Bay. You will spend the day sorting through shell-filled collectors in search of crabs. Volunteers 15 plus preferred, but younger students welcome with parental supervision. Registration required. To sign up or find details, visit: http://www.serc.si.edu/labs/marine_invasions/citizen_science/Parasite_project.aspx or contact Monaca Noble (firstname.lastname@example.org, 443-482-2467) or Darrick Sparks (email@example.com, 443-482-2455)
- 7 p.m. Free Outdoor Movie at the Mayo United Methodist Church - located at 1005 Old Turkey Point Road, Edgewater, 410.798.6110. No drop offs please.