Editors Bios & Contact Info
About co-founding editor Mitchelle Stephenson (410-353-4706):
I started in the newspaper business in advertising at the Jupiter (FL) Courier. From there I moved to the DC Metro area where I worked at the Washington Business Journal, Roll Call, The Hill, Capital Style and Roll Call Online. Eventually, I landed a writing gig at The Capital and from there I became the Local Editor of Edgewater-Davidsonville Patch.com, a subsidiary of AOL.com.
That about covers me professionally from 1985 to 2012.
I left Patch in January of 2012. In February, together with “Direct from Davidsonville” correspondent Cynthia Giorgio, we launched the South River Source. We hope it will become your SOURCE for information about the people that live, work and play in southern Anne Arundel County.
Both Cynthia and I are moms with children in public schools. We coach recreation-league sports. We dine out with our husbands. We’re active volunteers. Also, we are kind of nosy, which makes us great correspondents for local news, events and features.
Although we are a start-up now, our long-term goal is to make this site a not-for-profit business so that we can take any would-be profits (after expenses) and turn them into community grants.
It is important to my personal life philosophy to keep the business focus local and the money local.
I live in Edgewater with my husband, two daughters, one dog and one hamster. We enjoy a lot of outdoor activities, especially in the summer.
I’m grateful to have this opportunity to serve the community in this capacity. And whether I’m working at The Capital or Patch or the Source, there has always been a common thread to doing this kind of work: I really love this job!
Here is a snapshot of a few of my community service activities:
- Committee Chair, Central, Davidsonville and Mayo Elementary Redistricting Committee, Anne Arundel Co. Public Schools Annapolis (2011)
- Vice President, Southdown Shores Swim Club Board of Directors, Edgewater (2008-2010)
- Vice President for Legislation, Anne Arundel County Council of PTAs, Annapolis (June 2008-July 2010)
- Judge, Reflections, Anne Arundel County Council of PTAs (2008-2009)
- Central Elementary School Parent Teacher Association, Edgewater—President (2006-2008); Editor (2002-2006) Member (2001-present)
° Distinguished Local Award for largest increase in PTA Membership (2007)
- South County Redistricting Committee, Anne Arundel Co. Public Schools, Annapolis (2008)
- Page Selection Committee, Anne Arundel Co. Public Schools, Annapolis (2009 Maryland General Assembly Session)
- Judge, “We the People” Mock Congressional Hearing, Edgewater (2008)
- President, Withernsea Property Owners Association, Edgewater (2002-2005)
- Board member, South County Preschool Cooperative, (2004-2006)
- Star Actress, Gone with the Wind, Hollywood, CA (GOTCHA!! This one is a total fake. I wasn’t alive in 1939.)
Are you still with me on this? Thanks for reading about me.
And please, feel free to call or email me anytime – if you have news or not. Just ask my husband, I love to talk on the phone .
About co-founding editor Cynthia Giorgio (301-906-4767):
I have spent most of my professional life crafting stories whether it for a business, non-profit or individual.
I began my career in Washington, DC at Cassidy & Associates where I developed community relations and grassroots outreach programs for non-profits. My work increased awareness for important health and environmental issues at both the national and local level.
I then moved to New York City where I worked for Hunter & Associates, a boutique PR firm specializing in consumer outreach.
At Hunter, I counseled companies like Kraft Foods, 3M and Nikon. Through creative communications, I helped to brand and place hundreds of news stories in national, daily and weekly newspapers; business and trade media outlets; and on radio and television broadcast networks.
After a number of years in the city, my husband and I headed back south, relocating in the Washington, DC area. There, I worked for Dittus Communications where I continued to develop outreach campaigns.
I live in Davidsonville with my husband and two children. I love my community, and for some 13 years I have been active in local organizations, including:
- South County Pre-Kindergarten Co-op
- Davidsonville Elementary PTO
- Isabel’s Gift, a non-profit organization dedicated to providing services to families with sick children in the NICU
- Anne Arundel County Public School’s 2011-2012 Parenting Redistricting Committee
Most recently, I made the leap from publicist to journalist, writing the Davidsonville column for Edgewater-Davidsonville Patch.com.
I’ve also collected industry honors, including the Silver Anvil, Bulldog Reporter, International Public Relations (IPRA), Platinum PR, and Sabre Award(s).
In my spare time, I enjoy horseback riding and watching my children play lacrosse and field hockey for the Davidsonville Athletic Association. Go Gators!